March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#587562 12/19/20 07:45 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Every year, I make an effort to run some of my black powder cartridges through my vintage shotguns. Typically, around Christmas or New Years, Ill be out in the forest hunting ruffed grouse and firing Gamebore fiber wad black powder cartridges.

Some years ago I bought up a stash of them when I heard they were no longer going to be available, so I have quite a few boxes to use.
Today I am shooting a 16 bore Ithaca Crass.

Today I am doing some form of an Edwardian themed driven shoot in the far north reaches of Michigans lower peninsula, sponsored by Fieldsport.
Thank God the snow isnt waist deep yet.

I think the other guns in the line might be surprised at my first report.

He he he.

Merry Christmas!

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it would be nice to see a picture of their expressions. Shoot well and a Merry Christmas to you.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That sounds like fun. I enjoy shooting black at the trap range. The first few times, everyone wonders what that noise is all about.

I didn't know there was anything in Michigan that could be driven. These are grouse? It certainly would be interesting.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

About 25-30 years ago I loaded some shells with black to use in a hammer gun I had at the time. That fun soon wore off for me, as I was shooting lots of black in m/loaders too. A full box of those shells were in my shop, leftover, in a regular shell box.

I hosted a dove shoot and one of the guests had forgotten shells. His father asked if I had any extra. I looked in the shop, saw those leftovers and handed them to him, not realizing they were loaded with black.

He was shooting an A5, AIR, and after the fun commenced he walked over to his Dad and showed him his gun, which had stopped functioning. His Dad, a m/l shooter too and familiar with black powder fouling, looked at the gun and immediately diagnosed the problem, partly by the smell.

We all had a big laugh about it. His son had never even noticed all the extra smoke.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone here, besides me, hunt with bp loaded cartridges? Always fun to see a duck or pheasant fall out of the bottom of a cloud of smoke.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every once in a while Amarillomike and I will hunt wild bobs with bp, usually in English single shot hammer guns. We try to pick days when the wind is blowing, in a calm there is no way to tell if you dropped it or not. And it helps for the hunting partner to be over to the side and mark a downed bird.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Every year, I make an effort to run some of my black powder cartridges through my vintage shotguns. Typically, around Christmas or New Years, Ill be out in the forest hunting ruffed grouse and firing Gamebore fiber wad black powder cartridges.

Some years ago I bought up a stash of them when I heard they were no longer going to be available, so I have quite a few boxes to use.
Today I am shooting a 16 bore Ithaca Crass.

Today I am doing some form of an Edwardian themed driven shoot in the far north reaches of Michigans lower peninsula, sponsored by Fieldsport.
Thank God the snow isnt waist deep yet.

I think the other guns in the line might be surprised at my first report.

He he he.

Merry Christmas!

That sounds like a really neat experience Clapper. Please post pics of the fun!

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Every once in a while Amarillomike and I will hunt wild bobs with bp, usually in English single shot hammer guns. We try to pick days when the wind is blowing in a calm there is no way to tell if you dropped it or not. And it helps for the hunting partner to be over to the side and mark a downed bird.

I learned to squat real quick and look under the smoke, when shooting at a single, to see if it fell. My buddy would almost die laughing at me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took my hammer W&C Scott 10 gauge to a tower shoot last year after getting permission from the operator. (There usually is a 12 gauge size limit) My hand loads were 2 7/8 inch loads with 1 1/8 ounce 6's and 7.5's and he was flexible enough to realize that most of the 12 gauge shooters were using 1 1/4 ounce loads anyway.

It was a lot of fun but the sharp report did worry a few of the retrieving dogs at the shooting butts. It was just sharp enough to get their attention!

I was told I could bring it back anytime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gee stan, was that the same person, with the a5, to whom you gave the bp shells to shoot, wid out tellin him they would jam up his autoloader with fouling...and that he would have to disassemble the gun, wash all internal parts with soap and water, dry, lube, and reassemble the gun... hoping he did it right...

or was that a new friend for you to have fun with at their expense?

"do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."

Last edited by ed good; 12/19/20 11:24 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.