March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#588797 01/01/21 09:41 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an 8x56 Mannlicher on the way. It has a G&H mount. Also has just the base for a Lyman 36 on the bolt release. I am thinking of trying to build a "blank" like I have seen on some other Lyman peeps with the scope attached but would also consider a 36 if I can find the other parts. Didn't one of you on here make up some 36 Lymans from parts?

Last edited by riflegunbuilder; 01/23/21 09:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

riflegunbuilder,
Check PhysDoc's posts.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 01/01/21 01:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the post that Mike is thinking of

Lyman sights

I won a bunch of parts collections on ebay several years ago. I was able to complete two Lyman 36 slides and make several of my own slides and bases. When you get the rifle, please post some pictures of the base, I would be surprised if the slide was the only part that was missing.

LRF designed his own sight from scratch. His is a better design, in my opinion, than the original.

Fred

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Fred. I'm pretty sure all I have is the base attached to the bolt stop. I will get some pictures when I get the rifle in hand.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update. I've got the Mannlicher in hand. Thanks to PhysDoc's help we have figured out what parts we needed to get the sight to the point that the base will have a blank like you see on some Mausers and Springfields and the lever. The next question we need help wit is: this is the early type with a 10-36tpi stud. Does anyone know what covers the end of the stud when the sight is assembled or is the end of the hollow stud exposed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a picture that riflebuilder sent me, I am not too familiar with all the variations of Lyman 36 sights,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am not sure what the hole in the stud is there for.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The picture is not very clear (out of focus) and a couple more perspectives would help. Having said that, I understand the stud is threaded some thing like 10-36 and I imagine the hole in the center is threaded. I believe the hole is for the cap screw which prevents the the slide lock lever from unscrewing all the way. If I am correct then for it to actually work effectively the cap screw thread would be left hand so I would check that out. I am guessing here as I have never actually taken one apart. If it is left handed then it should mention that in the Lyman paperwork. Question: as you want the slide lock lever when tightened pointing down I wonder how Lyman timed the threads to achieve this?
Another minor comment I believe the slide stop is installed upside down on this sight.
And last, there is a shadow line around the front and bottom of the base in the wood. Looks like the wood was cut larger then needed initially and it was repaired with a very good job of "repair". Curious if I am seeing this or my old eyes are playing tricks on me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to the patent application for this sight

Lyman 36 patent

I like looking at these old drawings. I think figure 7 and the corresponding discussion may answer Lynn's question.
The patent drawing does not show a screw in the stud, though I've seen them with a screw there. Like on this sight that
recently sold on ebay.

Lyman 36 on ebay.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lyman 36 sights changed over the years, and have some minor variances in them. Many have the hole, and pictures show nothing in the hole. Some are simply flat on the end of the stud. Others have a shallow indent in the end of the stud, while some show a screw in the end of the stud. So it's tough to say if yours had the screw, or just the hole that isn't threaded.
Here's some great detailed pictures from a post a guy did on his:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../10892204/Any_Lyman_receiver_sight_exper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.