March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (gasgunner, SKB, ChiefAmungum, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for advice:
I would very much like to talk to anyone out there who has had experience inletting the bottom metal for rifles with the long single stack type magazine, like this Dutch model, early Mausers (with single stack mags), Commission 88, early Mannlichers, or maybe Nagants. Preferably having done the work from a blank, although that is less important with regards to my questions.

If you think you might have some experience generated advice please contact me and I can detail the challenges as i see them and how you may have addressed them.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not done a magazine as you are, but in similar projects, I've layed out the inletting depth on the metal. Then, all the metal prep above and below is a very subtle diamond leavind a crisp as possible line at the width.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I have not done a magazine as you are, but in similar projects, I've layed out the inletting depth on the metal. Then, all the metal prep above and below is a very subtle diamond leavind a crisp as possible line at the width.

Thanks Craigd, yes it is best to draft the sides, as this will allow for a better fit as the bottom metal sinks into the stock, as you indicate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And, I do apologize for reading the problem wrong, fun project.

edit to add, thanks for the follow up picture and shop solution, I was suspecting it was an alignment issue.

Last edited by craigd; 12/30/20 02:14 PM.
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
Looking for advice:
I would very much like to talk to anyone out there who has had experience inletting the bottom metal for rifles with the long single stack type magazine, like this Dutch model, early Mausers (with single stack mags), Commission 88, early Mannlichers, or maybe Nagants.....

I figured out a solution to the question/advice I was discussing above. The question is how to keep the bottom metal aligned and sinking into the stock straight without canting and also knowing when to stop. In the attached pic you can see the none straight condition of the bottom metal floor which make the inletting not straight forward. In addition how do you know when to stop inletting as the distance between the receive and magazine are critical to function.
My solution are two alignment pins and then you will see there is a shoulder on each pin, which controls the final depth and correct position.
Anyway its my solution and yet to be proved as the right solution. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a good idea to me

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A short update: I milled in some of the bottom metal inletting to reduce the workload. Around each screw hole is a counter bore machined to the final floor depth so I will know when to stop. (these are the same as the steps on the brass receiver pins) The metal from where it is now to where it needs to sink to is about 3/8", so now begins the near endless cycles of inletting. Blacken the metal, try fit, remove metal, scrape away the black impressions. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some pics off the 'door' I mentioned that some Mannlicher type actions have when sporterized.
This acts as a clip saver on the sporters.

This one on an '88 sporter. They are all the same idea but sometimes pivot from a different point to take advantage of a placement that affords the best/easiest way to fabricate for that particular action.

This '88 pivots the door at the extreme back end of the mag box and uses an extra thin flat spring that is added to the magazine. That spring extends back into the trigger guard and is attached to the inside bottom of the bow and out of the way.

Close fitting door with 'ears' that fit into cutouts in the bottom edges of the magazine.

Door pulled partially open, It's actually sitting on the high point of the rear edge before going over center on the spring.

Door all the way open and spring tension 'over center ' keeps it open in this position for you.

The back edge of the door bearing on the thin flat spring that powers the door open and shut.

That's the other end of the spring. It enters into the trigger guard inside the bow and is secured there. Rounded and polished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, and my apologies for being late with this.
The trigger guard conversion done on the Romanian Model 93 Sporter I have for DST's.

Front 1/2 of orig trigger guard was left in tact.

Rear half of TG is a shotgun style and has a bolster/hook added to link it to the front orig half through a rectangular hole cut in the front section.

The hook simply sets into place in the front section and draws down in place as the rear guard tang is put in place in the inlet in the wood like any other shotgun guard.

When it's full down in position & the tang screw installed the joint where to two pieces come together is very tight. No movement and very hardly noticable.

Makes for a nice trigger guard appearance I think.

I've seen the same technique on a Steyr M95 (straight pull) 8x50R sporter that I owned. and recall it on some other German and Austrian Steyr type actioned sporters that I've seen over the years.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Kutter for the posting and pictures.
The pictures of the trapdoor style mag cover are quite interesting. I had seen the trigger guard implementation previously but not to the high detail you provided.
The issues for my project have been the implementation of both the mag cover and the double set triggers improvements. The cover spring has been the most significant issue.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.