March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some say that engraving through the blue is not the best way. Some finish should be added to prevent rusting. Maybe this gun is "in progress". Very nice gun. We need more pictures. Search for the engraver's name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to tell much but that fore end is definitely not original, so I would imagine the whole gun has been restocked. It's value will be strongly affected by how well that restocking was done. There was a bit of an upsurgence in collecting varmintized singleshots, especially highwalls, but whether that continues to be the case, I do not know. It does have a single set trigger, so that will add a bit to the value.

More and better pictures are definitely needed, including one of the breech with the action open. Is it chambered for a rimmed cartridge and if not, what is the extractor situation?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

And the Elephant in the room....Those engraved initials are a real detractor unless you can find a buyer with the same. In many case they are tantamount to using a vidro pen to engrave a police crime tracking number on your gun as was popular 30-40 years ago.
Or find an engraver who can remove the center panel of the left side and remove the initials. A lot of expensive work that sorry the rifle just won't care the value to recover.
My suggestion is list on Gunbrroker in an auction put a $1000 start and see if you get any bids. If not you know the value is less and if you do get bids you will get what its worth. IMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very reasonable approach, with LRF's thoughts. Put your hopes down as a start and put it to auction, together or separated from the scope. It appears to be personalized, and not necessarily customized, which may put it in the market of bargain hunters looking for a project action.

A long shot might be requesting the Cody papers on it. If it was originally a rare configuration, it may appeal to someone thinking to do a recreation. Best of luck with it.

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some pictures. I was able to ease the scope onto the rifles bases about halfway and then there's a lot of resistance that I didn't try to overcome.(I had backed out the mount screws that lock the scope on without improving the fit. I also tried it from the front and rear.)

The sunscreen for the scope is really long and when installed, would extend quite beyond the muzzle.

Single trigger. No caliber designation under the forearm unfortunately. (Am I the only one here who doesn't feel comfortable using cerosafe? I can do it, I just don't like it. Will need to get that out now.)

I've found a scope manual for it online. Will need to study to understand if scope adjustments work as they should.

Last edited by CJF; 01/03/21 05:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, the guy here that might know the most about this era of wildcatting singleshots is probably buckstix. You might PM him for his opinion.

Without getting out a book I can't say for sure but that may be a Unertl "Programmer", which is a pretty high dollar model.

Your trigger is not a single trigger, but a single SET trigger, which is a plus. Push it forward (hard) and it should click. Then try the trigger pull.

The lever is custom and not a plus in my opinion.

To me, this is an action and a scope. The action has two demerits (initials and lever). The rest - not of any value to me and most of those that I know.

Your scope may be worth more than your rifle (in my case that is a certainty).

Sorry about that.

_________

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent,
I couldnt agree more with your assessment that this is really just an action and a scope that I need to sell for my wifes aunt. I will reread everyones input and research both the scope model and set trigger and then get this listed on GB.

The renewed interest in mid-century modern decor hasnt extended to firearms yet!

Thank you and thanks to everyone who has helped

Last edited by CJF; 01/03/21 05:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go ahead and use the cerrosafe. Knowing what it is chambered for could be a big plus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF, I think your best bet is to research the scope a bit and then put it on ebay.

For the rifle, I would take LRF's suggestion.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a Programmer, looks like 2in target should sell well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.