March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 40 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 39 40
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
I had read awhile ago that in South Dakota if you hunted on a pay basis that some of the farmers have, they had to keep a total of birds killed and then they had to supplement the wild birds with pen raised birds. I'm guessing this is the same now and wonder if other states that have a fair amount of wild birds if this is the case also.

I have seen some movie footage of guys hunting in a group and having a good time talking while hunting in South Dakota. When I was there years ago you didn't as much sneeze when walking. The dogs had bells on them, but that didn't seem to bother the birds. I had never seen that many pheasants and at the time Pennsylvania had a fair amount here in the eastern part of the state.....that was then.

Certainly there are game preserves in South Dakota that are as you describe but I have seen many hundreds of wild birds at a time in the Dakotas as well, especially when they bunch up later in the year during the cold weather.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never paid for birds. Why would you do that when you live in wild bird country?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
I've never paid for birds. Why would you do that when you live in wild bird country?

Amen!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of people do that. I would think the whys of it are pretty obvious, especially if you've ever hunted wild birds.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Lots of people do that. I would think the whys of it are pretty obvious, especially if you've ever hunted wild birds.

I realize all that, Brent, and I have no problem with others doing it at all. I've just have never had to pay, and it's due to living where I do, making connections, and hunting upland for a very long time. I hunt a combination of private and public land.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not everyone has a bird dog or loves walking miles on the prairie, I do but some folks just want to come to a place where they are pampered and they know they will see birds. Living in bird country makes a huge difference. Many of those preserves cater to corporate business, they fly a new group in every few days and it is much more pheasant shooting than pheasant hunting, because they supplement the birds on the preserve they can legally take more birds and hunt a longer season. I see huge numbers of birds on the private land I hunt but they all occur naturally. The Dakotas are subject to big swings in numbers locally but in general support very large numbers of naturally occurring wild birds on both public and private land.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

We use to call preserve hunts, “put and take” hunts. Got invited to a mallard duck hunt, “put and take type hunt” a few years ago. Seems ducks were released in the marsh and would fly back to their pens right across a from blind that hunters sat in. I did not go but a friend did. Told me he killed ten ducks before he noticed they all flew the exact same pathway. He shot several more but let others shoot his “ share”. I thought then and still do that I would rather repaint a bedroom than go “hunting like that”. I do understand those less able to physically get around might enjoy it. But unless I am introducing a new pup to birds I’ll pass on “put and takes”. But to each their own.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with you. I have not shot a planted bird in years and even then it was only for training. Not the kind of sport I'm looking for.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve:

You are fortunate to live where wild birds still exist. In Pennsylvania, where I live, wild pheasants are extinct and the ruffed grouse population appears headed that way, thanks to West Nile virus and a reduction in logging on State Forest
lands, plus the continuing reduction in oak trees, the last significant mast source in the Pennsylvania forests, thanks to the State abandoning spraying for gypsy moths. Even the squirrel populations are way down in the woods. I’ve been hunting the same areas for over 50 years and the changes are extensive and deeply discouraging.

Rem

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know it Rem. Actually I drive out of state for most of my upland hunting other than blue grouse but still feel very fortunate. Smartest thing I ever did was buying a run down house in bird country.

Here for the meltdowns
Page 30 of 40 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.