March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Borderbill, damascus, Jason Dubois, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of you read but did not read what I printed. I said years ago and could be the same as now, if you plan a hunt to South Dakota and maybe other states, most of the land is privately owned by farmers that charge you to hunt on their property, that includes room and board and usually a kennel for your dog/s. If there are 10 gunners and you kill your limit of 3 for the days you are there, that is a lot of wild birds being killed, multiplied by the next and next group of hunters, and that would soon deplete a lot of cock bird population. So the state said that on your property if x amount of pheasants were killed, you had to supplement that amount after the season ended for the next years propagation.
There are many that hunt on these pay for farms and is a way for farmers to make extra income.

SKB, I never mentioned shooting preserve, again read what I wrote.

Last edited by David Williamson; 01/07/21 01:23 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rem, I am 74 and have hunted in PA even when I lived in northern N.J. We hunted all day and put up birds all day, many hens which was a good thing to see. It started to decline when the state did not put out 5-6 week old birds on property that was not posted, but still like anywhere, you had to ask permission. I got to know a few places and after the second time or so, they just told me to go ahead and hunt. Always offered them birds if they wanted at the end of the day.
By the time hunting season came these pen raised chicks were as wild as wild could be and made challenging hunting. I also remember around this time in Flemington, N.J. the amount of wild pheasants and quail there at that time. Always had great quail hunting where the hospital is now. I had my first chance at a triple on quail, shot two going away and missed an easy left to right on a cock. I was using a Remington 11-48 .410 25" barrel ventilated rib of which I still own.
Now in PA if you see a pheasant call the state and report an endangered species. The state has ruined pheasant hunting and puts all it's effort in deer, bear and turkey, of which I did not care to hunt then or now.

Last edited by David Williamson; 01/07/21 04:56 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know anything about pheasants hunting in USA, but like these game birds a lot. I watched some videos of "The hunting family" in YouTube. It is incredible how many wild (I supose) birds are there. They are so lucky.

Regards!

Last edited by campero; 01/07/21 05:19 PM.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Sidelock
Sidelock

campero,
We are, indeed, lucky for our bird hunting. Gus and I only got one yesterday but that was good enough.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

David Williamson,
I think you may have some of your details confused. If the State of South Dakota is mandating the release on a piece of privately owned land then that would be a shooting preserve, by definition. The State is only concerned with hunting within season and bag limits. If a rancher decides to shoot every single cock bird in his property but does so within season and abides by bag limits then that is of no concern to the State, though it certainly would constitute poor game management.

Brent,
nice pic and I agree, one hard earned late season rooster is enough. Looks like a nice sunny day to be out there.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a beautiful day. Just barely above freezing and very light wind (super unusual). We put on a lot of hard miles quickly. Will skip today and go Saturday and Sunday for The Closer.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD, what a very good hunting day! I think the important thing in hunting is how and not how much: live the countryside gives us in company of our dogs, friends and shotguns. (Sorry my bad english). Beautiful your SxS. It's a...?

"The hunting family" I watch in YouTube hunts with 20 ga Merkel guns.

Last edited by campero; 01/08/21 10:26 AM.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is a Cashmore Paragon. 12 gauge. It's great for the late season where we walk many miles for every shot. Just one shot yesterday, and we made it a good one. It was an almost perfect day.

We have two more days to go and it will be much colder, but still good weather.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job, Brent. A person certainly does earn these late season trophies. Tuesday I had 2 shots, got one, and yesterday the valve was shut. I'll give the birds these final three days without me hassling them any more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday was a beautiful day with cool temps in the low 50s and intermittent sun and clouds, with a little breeze. I was invited to a dove shoot less than a mile from my house, in a large sunflower field. The field was somewhere around 60 acres, with another one about that size about 1/4 mile away. across some scrub woods. Most of the doves were feeding in one of those fields, so 12 of us took to that field. One gun went to the other, mainly to keep the doves from going to it and settling once the shooting started in "our" field.

I anticipated high flying, mature birds and lots of shots at longish distances. I normally use a small bore gun for doves, and would have possibly used a 20 but, considering the size of the field and the few guns that would be there I decided to use a 12. I have had a Smith 3E with 32" ventilated rib barrels, and 3" chambers, for a couple years but had never taken it to the field. It had shot clays once, with "so-so" results, and had lingered in it's leg-of-mutton case ever since. My feelings went towards it, and giving it a chance to strut it's stuff. The long 32" barrels are choked .037" and .037", so it had what was needed to reach out and touch the long ones. I took Aguila 1 oz. loads of no.8s, at 1200 fps., though 7 1/2s might have been better, in hindsight.

It was a good choice. The birds were flying wide and high, and the long barrels and tight chokes were in their element. At the end of the afternoon I had a limit of fifteen. Hard earned birds, most taken at distance. Wonderful sport in the late season.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.