March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great work Stan!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another day, another pic on a stump - well a log, but that's what we had in a farmer's machine lot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This was one of the most impressive days of pheasant hunting I have ever seen. We may have seen close to 1000 flushes. Of course, nearly all of them were 100s of yards away. But they were flying in every direction at all times. With the crunchy snow, getting close was hard. But we ended killing 6.

Of course, only 5 are in the picture. I shot the first bird, and afterwards we returned to the trucks in the farmer's drive to shed some clothes. I put the bird in the truck too (it has a tonneau cover). Then we did another large loop and I shot a second bird, and we returned to the truck for a snack and to drop off birds again. I put mine in the back. And then did a double take. There was only one bird in the truck. The one I just put there. No idea where the other bird went. It was dead as a wedge, but it disappeared out of a closed truck bed. No one was at home at the farm either. Haunted pheasant cover, but oh so amazing.

The farm owner was off at his brother's place which is, apparently, even better pheasant hunting. They got 17 for 6 shooters.

One more day left.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love those days Brent, just awesome when it comes together late season. Another great pic of Gus too.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I'm envious of your bird numbers down there. Northeast Iowa is bird poor in comparison. I used to see days like that in the Mason City area in the 90's. Looking forward to seeing your final report!

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, the rest of America is bird poor compared to where we were yesterday. It was phenomenal, unlike anything I have seen in 30 seasons of Iowa pheasant hunting. I doubt I will ever get a chance to hunt that property again, but I will never forget it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

[No idea where the other bird went. It was dead as a wedge, but it disappeared out of a closed truck bed. No one was at home at the farm either. Haunted pheasant cover, but oh so amazing.]brentd

I once shot a Redhead drake (rare down here) I wanted to have mounted. I returned from my blind and put the bird in my car. The passenger window was partially open. Upon my return the caretaker's cat jumped out the window with my Redhead. At least the cat had mostly plucked it for me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I once shot a Redhead drake (rare down here) I wanted to have mounted. I returned from my blind and put the bird in my car. The passenger window was partially open. Upon my return the caretaker's cat jumped out the window with my Redhead. At least the cat had mostly plucked it for me...Geo"

George - had a very similar experience many years ago with my first Wood duck drake. Man was I ever proud; and as I'd taken the duck late in the evening and was to join my wife and in-laws for supper that evening, drove to their home where I was now welcome to enter thru the back door. So I wiped off my feel and laid my game bag atop the freezer on the porch with never a single thought of the cat. While we were eating I heard a commotion on the back porch and opened the door just in time to witness the cat emerge from my game bag with MY DRAKE in it's jaws; and before I could say SCAT, it and my duck disappeared under the house! The duck was never seen again; and oh lordy did I want to kill that cat!. Wasn't funny then, but it makes for a good campfire tale now.

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post, what joy
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend who doesn't get to shoot doves much, and loves to eat them, was the recipient of the limit I took Thursday afternoon. So, thinking ahead to Monday evening, and wanting some grilled dove breasts myself, I took to the field this afternoon all by my lonesome. I knew where about 50-60 doves were feeding and set up my decoys and blind there. Today was a first for me. In 61 seasons I had never shot doves with a single-shot gun before. I took my 32" barrel Iver Johnson Special Trap and some B & P Comp One shells. The Comp Ones are lower pressure one ounce loads that I have had problems using in my other guns, due to misfires from light primer strikes. They will, however, fire with 100% reliability in this external hammer gun. It has a tight choke, and the drop is not so minimal that I can't shoot it well, though it is a trap gun. I've got a feeling it won't be the last time I use it on late season doves.

All I wanted was a few fresh birds to grill Monday evening, and it worked out nicely. They are marinating in the fridge tonight.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.