March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Marc Ret, LeFusil, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 234 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#589969 01/14/21 12:42 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Greetings! Long-time lurker here who finally signed up for an account to be able to get in on the conversations more.

I recently picked up a Post-'23 French SxS at auction and wondered if I was missing anything from the marks. I figure Argo44 would catch anything I might have missed, but there's really only one mark that is a bit of mystery to me.

For all appearances, this seems to be a St. Etienne Guild-made 12ga SxS with 65mm chambers and 18.3 for the "choke" on both barrels giving it the equivalent of an IC choke in US terms. Single smokeless proof on each barrel along with the initials E.M. under the choke/rectefie mark. "Compressed Rolled Steel" for the barrel material. The only mystery mark to me is the M "Star" M near the rib on the left barrel. Not sure if this gives a clue as the manufacturer of the barrel or not. It's obviously a A&D style boxlock and I assume the action bolt is of the VC helical design, but have not investigated yet.

The engraving of holly leaves and berries on the fences is fantastic and I quite like the rest of the engraving as well. The wrist, unfortunately, is cracked through. It came completely apart when I released the trigger plate and tang tension taking it apart last night to see what repair would need to be effected. Luckily, the break is extremely clean with no missing chips, and when pressed back together, is seamless to the eye. 3/32 diameter brass stock repair rods are inbound along with some Acraglas gel from Brownell's to get it back together and reinforced. The forend is chipped on the left front above the checkering border and there's a crack near the center as well. This too will be properly repaired. The bores are pitted, but not very deeply giving me hope that a simple, gentle elongation of the forcing cones with a mild hone by a professional will take care of the worst of it. The original horn buttplate shows the usual signs of insect activity, but other than the wrist break and crack at the forend, the wood is good structurally overall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's the damage to the wood:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/O4kv8bz.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/GGLrSX7.jpg[/img]

The only question I have other than "Did I miss anything?" is how to get the trigger guard separated from the plate. I assume is like any other double where it is threaded and screws into the plate, but it won't budge left or right which made getting the plate and tang separated a little difficult. Can't tell if it's rusted in place, or if there's some esoteric French system of removing them. Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to get a thorough cleaning done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to be a typical french guild gun. Yes the trigger guard should unscrew from the action. Try some penetrating oil, or heat. To get the tail out of the wood, tap the back of the guard with screwdriver or hammer handle, that should pop it out. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tallen, you've got all the marks that I can see. Afraid I can't help much.

I have seen a Jean Breuil barrel mark with a Star.....So, going only on this, it may be that M (Star) M is the barrel maker:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I've also seen a "Choke Rectifie" stamp with the barrel borer's initials on it...which may be what you have.

I looked at the 1951 list of gun makers in Saint Etienne but unfortunately there are only last names on it so can't winnow this down further without some additional research. Here are the "M"'s:

Maisonnial Aimé, 13 rue Clément Forissier ;
Manufacture Française d’Armes et de Cycles, Cours Fauriel ;
Manufacture Nationale d’Armes, 2 rue Javelin Pagnon ;
Marnas, 13 rue du Rozier ;
Marsault, 6 boulevard Valbenoîte ;
Martin-Dubost, 38 rue Badouillère ;
Mathieu, 25 rue Badouillère ;
Maumey Jean-Baptiste, 35 rue Mulatière ;
Meunier, 7 rue Jean-Baptiste David ;
Montagny Aîné, 48 rue Gambetta ;
Montcoudiol Lucien (Mécanique), Saint-Bonnet-le-Château ;

We discussed a number of times the "Helice" key. Verney Caron patented a top key and trademarked it three times under various names but none of them were simply "Helice." That word came to be stamped on a lot of French keys, as it came to be associated with "Quality." Larry finally showed what the difference was. A VC top key will not have a slot in the key - VC turned it around so it never needs adjusting. A Scott Spindle top key has a slot in it:

Last edited by Argo44; 01/17/21 12:26 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a Helice.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a Helice.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is A >>Helice<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I figured as much, but felt it was worth checking just in case I was missing something!

FWIW, I'm just a bit across the river from you, Argo44. Up in the Agricultural Reserve of Montgomery County near Damascus. This gun came out of a not-well-advertised online auction in Howard County. I picked it up for very little, especially by today's standards in pricing. There was a very nice William Evans .410 Bore in the original case in the auction as well. Had I had the money to bid on it, I would have. Ultimately it went for just $1030. The most interesting part was that there was still a receipt for the sale of it to whoever brought it over from Scotland for £1 in what looks like 1941 or 1971 depending on the hard to see third number of the year. I wish I could have won that one! https://maryland.hibid.com/lot/8076...a-shotgun/?ipp=10&q=&ref=catalog

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a good solid shooter. Needs a bit of work but nothing that extreme. Think of it as a learning tool. Many here can help guide you step by step if needed. Or YouTube has several good videos on minor wood repairs.

Funny thing about most French guns we see here is that they are almost all lower grade guns. I wonder if they hid them when the Nazis came and never came back in GI bags or I’d higher graded guns just never we sold in any numbers. Perhaps the later I think.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This one is definitely a contender for GI bring-back status.

I cleaned the bores the day I got it home by running a 12ga bore snake through it with Remington Bore Bright. It was dirty, but not awful. I started inspecting the interior and saw what looked like a bunch of dirt where the chambers meet the forcing cones, so I poked around a bit and found that it was waxed paper from old-style shotshells. I continued cleaning and eventually ran one of the Hoppes Tornado-Style bore brushes down it which really pulled the paper out. Lots and lots of flecks of waxed reddish-orange paper. I figure it hasn't been fired since the 40s or 50s at the latest given that fact. It was all old and fragile, not new production stuff. The lack of any importation marks makes me think it's a Pre-68 bring-back or import regardless.

I'm looking forward to fixing it up and getting it back into action taking pheasants and chukar up in PA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, you know that's not going to work.....when you say something quickly three times, to make it true, you also have to jump in the air and click your heels three times at the same time. smile

Tallen, the 18.3 won't give you the chokes. You'll have to run a bore check thingy. I would bet the chokes are tight, .024 or higher. And I am curious about that "DA 8883" or something like that, I can't play with contrast etc. enough to make it out, on the barrel. What is it?

I believe 8 bore lives close to you too.

Last edited by Argo44; 01/14/21 05:43 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.