March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Researcher, Jimmy W, SKB, arrieta2), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would choose an English wildfowling boxlock in 3 inch chambering , 1 1/2 oz proofed barrels 30 to 32 inch in length and weighing between 7 1/2 lb to 8 1/2 lb . The BSA has a reputation for strength but any of the old wildfowling guns would do. Thomas Bland’s “Brent”for example or Greener’s “Empire”. Guns by Tolley , Lewis ,Thomas Wild,Gallyons, or any provincial maker from around the wildfowling estuaries there is no lack of choice.Killing two birds with one stone a Dickson round action in 3 inch chambering. Some of these old wildfowling pieces though subject to harsh conditions have probably fired relatively few shots so should have plenty of serviceable life and should easily handle 7/8 oz loads all day long. The absence of ejectors ,common with these guns ,is one less thing to go wrong.
Graham MacKinlay has a “Brent” on offer for under £500 and £500 to £1250 is as much as you would need to spend if you were to shop around though obviously you would have to pay a good bit more for the Dickson.
A more modern option is the AYA 722 , a single triggered sidelock with pistol grip designed for sporting clays and around 7lb in weight.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 01/19/21 07:00 PM. Reason: Add last sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Konor, you could get a lowly Green FP to meet those criteria, except, perhaps, the 3" chambers. But it will suffice for more or less indefinite light trap shooting.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD ,A Greener Facile Princeps ? The Greener Empire is occasionally found in as new condition for around £1200 here 2 3/4 or 3 inch.
I think if you shop around here in the UK there are a few 3 inch British wildfowling guns possibly having had only one or two owners which come on the market either when wildfowling and the rigours of the foreshore become too much or the owners pass. The 8lb plus guns are ill suited to walked up rough shooting so less sought after for the average shooter but a potential good buy for the clay shot with a wildfowling past. If dealers can be avoided a fair price in a private sale can be a good buy. I was offered a Thomas Bland “Brent” from a retiring wildfowler who received it as a 21st birthday present cased with 500 Eley 3 inch cartridges and virtually unused. Being a student at the time I could ill afford it but got a good bargain on the cartridges. The AYA number 3 three inch magnum would be a cheaper alternative and has a good reputation in the UK.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 01/19/21 08:01 PM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes a Fascile Princeps can easily make all of those criteria except chamber length, and perhaps some were cut at 3" also. I've just never seen one.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stan
[quote=Ky Jon] If I wanted to shoot 7/8 ounce loads I’d get a 20. {/quote]

Amen, and Amen!

SRH
I think some of you are missing the point of shooting 7/8 oz loads in a 12 ga @ sporting clays.

For us recoil sensitive shooters a 7/8 oz load at around 1200 fps in a 12 ga of typical weight is a lot more pleasant to shoot than than the same 7/8 oz load in a 20 ga of typical weight. If I had discovered the 7/8 oz 12 ga load earlier I might not have the flinching problem that I do + the load is gentle on old & new shotguns.

To get the same level of recoil with equal loads the 20 ga would need the same weight as @ 12 ga & other than use in shoots that handicap for gauge & small bore bragging rights I don't see the point of shooting a 20 ga that weighs as much as a 12 ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brittany Man

Amen, and Amen!

SRH
I think some of you are missing the point of shooting 7/8 oz loads in a 12 ga @ sporting clays.

For us recoil sensitive shooters a 7/8 oz load at around 1200 fps in a 12 ga of typical weight is a lot more pleasant to shoot than than the same 7/8 oz load in a 20 ga of typical weight. If I had discovered the 7/8 oz 12 ga load earlier I might not have the flinching problem that I do + the load is gentle on old & new shotguns.

To get the same level of recoil with equal loads the 20 ga would need the same weight as @ 12 ga & other than use in shoots that handicap for gauge & small bore bragging rights I don't see the point of shooting a 20 ga that weighs as much as a 12 ga.

Total agreement, Brittany Man. I've been shooting 7/8 oz loads in my 12 gauge SxS's for recreational clays for many years. They work just fine and they're easier on the gun and my shoulder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all the early Empires were 3 inch chamber up until 1925 and called long empires and 3 inch chambered models were made as late as the Webley take over in 1965. I think Empires were still being assembled up until around 1970. They were a popular gun here with wildfowlers who had a little more ready cash.

Boxlock
Boxlock

IF your going to do serious shooting at Sporing clays or anything, their is only one Gun to USE!

BUILT LIKE A BANK VAULT and WILL TAKE ALL LOADS THE WINNER-The BROWNING B-SS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dirty harry
IF your going to do serious shooting at Sporing clays or anything, their is only one Gun to USE!

BUILT LIKE A BANK VAULT and WILL TAKE ALL LOADS THE WINNER-The BROWNING B-SS KING of the DOUBLES!

I like the enthusiasm. But you keep the Browning smile

Around here serious sporting clays is like 2x in one calendar year.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brittany Man

Amen, and Amen!

SRH

I'm not missing the point. I have bought, and shot, 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads by the case. I, however, am not recoil sensitive, and can shoot even 1 1/4 oz. 12 ga. loads without undue sensitivity. I say, in response, that those who are recoil sensitive should not be so close minded as to think that all others are as they are.

if you are okay with chippy breaks, okay. I'm not. I want dust when I'm on a clay bird. This will also help ensure dishrag dead birds in the field, not wounded runners that the dogs have to run down and, hopefully, find.

Also, flinching is not always caused by recoil. Much, if not most, of it is caused by a disconnect between the brain and the trigger finger that is a result of the brain not being "comfortable" with what the eyes see as the proper lead....... an "Afraid I'll miss" syndrome.

How do the 3/4 - 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load shooters hunt ducks, or do they? If they do, do they justify their recoil sensitivity by saying that the increased accuracy of shooting impotent loads ensures dead ducks, even with less than adequate loads? Or, do they say that because I shoot light loads at clays I can tolerate a few adequate loads at ducks? Just trying to understand a train of thought that I do not, currently. I have used the gamut of loads for game birds, from 1/2 oz. .410 loads for doves to 1 1/4 oz. for ducks. There are posters here who disparage, and disavow, the use of a .410 for doves and other small game birds. But, they promote the use of subgauge loads in a 12 ga. I don't get it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.