March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, steve voss), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 40 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Karl. I can only do that because the completion date happens to fall within the season.

Stan, one of the reasons I don't like guns with a through bolt is they tend to be too fat to feel right. I think that gun is just a hair over 4" in circumference. I have a couple that are right at 4" even and I love the way they feel. I have large hands but I still like a small wrist. If I fall the foot or more of water/grass/slop will soften the landing.

Gil, it hasn't been used much lately. I used it quite a bit 13-14 years ago but most years since then it has only gotten out a time or two each season.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought about the water and grass, Skip, after I posted what I did. grin

I wouldn't let it stop me from having one like that, even without the grass/water/mud. In fact, I've got a couple that are that small, or smaller, myself. wink

Always enjoy your pics.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Stan. Great shooting on those dove by the way. I was always better on flushing birds than passing birds until I spent four days in Argentina a few years ago and got plenty of practice. That Fox is gorgeous. I like smaller guns and if I had a 20 gauge B grade gun like that I would be a happy man.

Gil, nice work on the woodcock with that 20 gauge SKB. I really wanted one of those for my first gun when I was thirteen. Dad thought the 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster "Magnum" would be a more versatile gun for a boy that was only going to have one shotgun and he was probably right. I thought the Raybar sight was the coolest thing. If I got one of those guns today that would probably be the first thing I replaced. LOL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Snipe Hunter
That Fox is gorgeous. I like smaller guns and if I had a 20 gauge B grade gun like that I would be a happy man.

Right now I'm using a 20 Ga. Sterlingworth Ejector, with chokes opened to suit flushing birds, and chambers lengthened to 2 3/4" for quail and, hopefully next season, woodcock. It has proven to be such a lovely little bird gun that I will be keeping my eyes open for a graded Fox. The Sterly works so well that the only way I could improve on it would be looks, and a graded gun would satisfy that.

Best wishes, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used a 20 gauge Sterlingworth last weekend and the two times I hunted last week. Mine is just an extractor gun but it is solid and reliable.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you may recall the 20 ga. XE that I helped a family sell a handful of years ago. The owner, Sandy West, died on her birthday last week at 108. It was her father's gun. She lived alone on Ossabaw until moving into assisted living at 103. Here she is dining with Toby I at her home at Ossabaw. We have had her Toby II for two years. Anyone want to buy an 11 year old cranky Jack Russell who thinks he's a Jack Daniels? Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by GLS; 01/22/21 07:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do remember that, Gil. But, thanks for the pics. I don't know of anyone that Toby II would be better off with than you. Id like to hear the story of the sale of that XE again, next time we're together. I've been to sleep several times since then and the details are fuzzy.

Best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't help saying that is one really great picture of Toby and his late owner! Is Toby after some desert or a little of whatever was in the glass?

Rich
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably both.
Sandy's father was a big game hunter and the house on Ossabaw has head mounts that go way back in time. Presidents visited the island. Here's Sandy feeding a wild boar that would come to her kitchen door for table scraps. Not all of them lacked fear of humans. The two that she hand fed were "Spotty" and "Vidal Sasoon". The hogs descended from hogs left by the Spanish on the barrier islands of Georgia. The State of Georgia bought the 28,000 acre island back in the 1970s from Sandy and her brother. They kept a life estate. No one expected her to live to be 108.
My wife is sitting on the steps in the photo alongside Sandy.

1 member likes this: RichardBrewster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grey day, grey skies, grey birds. Getting tougher and tougher to kill a limit on these wary, mature birds. They flare from almost anything. Sir Joseph Nickerson had a sign above the door exiting his "ready room", from whence he went gamebird gunning. The sign read "About to be humbled". Above the same door, on the outside coming in another sign read "Having been humbled". He may not have ever shot late season doves but, I certainly can share the "having been humbled" aspect of gunning with him.

1973 Italian hammergun, reportedly made by the Bernardelli factory, and labeled San Georgio. 12 ga., 30", modern steel barrels ........

SRH

Page 34 of 40 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.