March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

What do y'all mean exactly by skiving the edge? The only reference i have to skiving is with shotgun hulls, where the edge of a square cut hull is "ground" off thinner so that it crimps better. But, I can't picture how that would be done to a thin piece of leather. Is there a certain leather working tool that will do what Mark II describes, because he has understood exactly what I was trying to convey?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is like skiving a hull but done with a blade, not abrasive. You can see it being done to a whole piece of leather for a covered pad in that video I posted. Imagine the same thing done on an angle just around the edge about 1/4' WIDE OR SO. It might be called "feathering" but skiving is the proper term.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

[video:youtube]
[/video]

for what you're trying to do, it's basically a tapered edge. could be done with a sharp chisel, but there are several kinds of skiving tools, including bookbinders skives for thinning the entire piece of leather

Jim
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks so much for the video links. Watched them and found them both extremely helpful. The one you posted, Jim, covers what I need to learn to do, in order to have the edges of the leather facing dressed nicely. Time to shop for some good leather and skiving tools, now. The Cole video should be a "must watch" for anyone interested in learning to cover pads with leather. He's very clear and definitive, and funny at the same time.

I'll take a pic of the "Grandad Pad" I did, battle, to show how badly one can look without the skiving of the edge. Maybe I can get it on here tonight.

Best, SRH

1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

The stock wood on this gun has been stripped with acetone wiping, so it looks rather dull. But, maybe you can see how unfinished an unskived piece of leather looks on the edge.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Second pic, the distressed wrinkling of the leather from Grandad's old duck hunting coat.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Looking forward to doing better next try.

SRH

1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for curiosity's sake, why the facing instead of an entire cover job? Is there some advantage?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan... why do you need to skive the leather? What’s wrong with having the leather the same thickness across the entire face of the pad? Thanks for the pic. I’d do the same as you did on that one, but with a piece of leather that doesn’t have that much wrinkles.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
Just for curiosity's sake, why the facing instead of an entire cover job? Is there some advantage?

It's mostly a personal preference. Foxes were supplied like this from the factory, on request, as I said earlier. While I might not balk at having a leather covered pad on an XE, or FE, I wouldn't want one on a Sterlingworth, which is what this gun is, unless it was a custom gun based on a Sterlingworth.

I have a few guns I'd enjoy a leather covered pad on, but want to take baby steps before I try to run. I believe learning to properly leather face a pad is going to have a much shorter learning curve than learning to do a complete leather covered pad well.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by battle
Stan... why do you need to skive the leather? What’s wrong with having the leather the same thickness across the entire face of the pad? Thanks for the pic. I’d do the same as you did on that one, but with a piece of leather that doesn’t have that much wrinkles.

I just think the edge of the leather will have a much nicer, and finished, look if skived.

All the leather on Grandad's old duck coat was wrinkled like that. It doesn't bother me on that Sterly, especially knowing it's past. Next attempt will be with some really nice goatskin leather.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think folding the skived edge under without puckering and while following the exact edge of the pad will be every bit as challenging as a full cover and maybe more. It will be interesting to see.

_________

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.