March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a believer:

From this.....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

To this.....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow! Canvasback, that is an incredible change!

Here is a similar result. I don’t have a before photo but can tell you I thought all the colors on this old Sauer were gone. What a remarkable change a sonic cleaning made! Afterwards I used Formby’s satin tung oil to protect it. Incidentally, the workmanship in these side locks is incredible. Gun is from about 1895.

Once again, I just tossed the whole action into the sonic cleaner without disassembly and when finished washed it thoroughly under hot water and dried with a heat gun turned low. Kept it hot enough to be very uncomfortable to hold. I know a better cleaning could have been done with a complete disassembly but I didn’t want to risk marring the screw heads. Lightly oiled all visible moving parts.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Joe Wood; 01/27/21 11:34 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Joe, I just ordered one. Now to see if such glorious colors are hiding on any of my old girls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, what cleaning solution do you use in your ultrasonic ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lyman Turbo Sonic cleaning solutions for steel and gun parts. Rather expensive but I reuse the diluted solution. When finished I just put the fluid in a plastic container with a snap on lid. Sometimes I filter it through a coffee filter if there’s a lot of crud in it. Have never had to throw away the stuff and renew it. My bottle will probably last a lifetime (which ain’t saying much at my age).

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys who guys who use these cleaners .......... do you think this one would give maximum cleaning effect? It appears to be pretty much the same unit as Joe's 2500, but with a stainless steel exterior.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064118839?pid=118839

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I have one of those and like it a lot. Big enough to put two entire pistol frames or receivers in at one time. Does an excellent job. I use Simple Green Pro for a cleaner but follow the directions on the jug of cleaner for mixing.

Mike C
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stanton, I think it would be great and would probably prefer it over my Lyman 2500 simply because of its larger capacity. I’d expect both to clean equally well.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mike Covington
Stan, I have one of those and like it a lot. Big enough to put two entire pistol frames or receivers in at one time. Does an excellent job. I use Simple Green Pro for a cleaner but follow the directions on the jug of cleaner for mixing.

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Stanton, I think it would be great and would probably prefer it over my Lyman 2500 simply because of its larger capacity. I’d expect both to clean equally well.

Thanks, both. That's my next gunshop purchase.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Stan. And knowing what we have learned about ultrasonic cleaning bringing out hidden case colors, I won't be using steel wool or Frontier pads on actions and locks until I am certain that there are no case colors to remove or degrade.

As far as the thought that steel wool is softer than case hardening, so it cannot damage that hardened surface, consider this... high speed steel taps and drill bits become dull when used enough on mild steel.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.