March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, 1 invisible), 880 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, a good drill press with interchangeable pulleys speeds will do a nice job of getting rid of the 90% before your start with the little chisels. New, sharp, center cutting end mills in several sizes, at the highest speed the pulleys will go, work for me. Also, a decent cross slide drill press vice is so imperative to do the hogging out like this. I did 95+% of the inletting on this Schillinger lock with mine, then finished it up with chisels.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Shoot me a p.m. if you want to talk about it one evening.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That Inletting looks great, Stan. I've got an AyA no2 with beautiful engraving and overall a wonderful gun. But it looks like they went to Depot de Casa to pick up some lumber for the stock. The fit and finish are outstanding, but it's just seriously plain.

I should probably start with a boxlock or something else simpler (like Steve suggested). But if I can't find a 'practice' gun, I might go with a practice piece of walnut just to get the feel, knowing that I'll likely be putting the original stock back on after the first attempt.

I've got a couple of other projects to finish first, but I'll take you up on the offer of a phone call for advice. PM forthcoming

Jim
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can send your side lock stock to someone like gene semillian (spelling?) To make the side lock stock.he cut one for me that came out far better then if I had started from a blank

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

could do. I'm interested in doing the whole thing by hand, but sending it out for the initial duplication might be a better idea. this project is probably not going to start anytime real soon, so for now I'm looking for resources for learning how the old timers did it.

Jim
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a FN side lock I wanted to do all the work myself after buying a really nice piece of English walnut and weighing the probability of it being less then acceptable when finished I sent my old stock and my wood to gene simillian there was still a lot of work but it came out really good.i just came to the realization I'm not a stock maker good luck Mark cooper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the best explanations of stock inletting and the tools involved were in articles in Rifle magazine, written by John Bivens in the 1980's. They pertained to Kentucky rifles, but the tols and techniques are generic.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I built my first m/l rifle using the Foxfire book (I forget what number) that contained a lengthy piece about Herschel House, who built/builds them completely by hand with no power tools, as my instructional guide. It turned out fine for my first attempt, but my inletting was pitiful. I learned a lot between it and the next one. If one does not possess a fair modicum of patience he should not attempt inletting a stock. It won't end well. I always tried to picture perfect inletting while doing so ........."like the wood grew around the metal".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxfire 5 i built my first one the same way ,for the gun in the book House used a skill saw and spindle shaper .i was very lucky to meet some great muzzle loading rifle makers in tenn. Virginia and Kentucky .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.