March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Team,
I have inherited my Grandfather's LC Smith 20ga FeatherWeight SxS he bought in 1947 after he came back from the war. The stories of "We used to sit on the hood of the car and shoot Pheasants as they flushed from gravel roads in South Dakota" are amusing!

So,
I've had a small stock crack professionally fixed, checkering re-cut (it was worn smooth), stock refinished, and the chambers opened up to a true 2 3/4" (the gun is marked 20ga 2 3/4", but the chambers measured short).

SO, on to my quesiton:
when the gunsmith who opened the chambers inspected the gun, he said to me it is a good gun for hunting but suggested I not shoot 'a ton of clays' with it, as the old guns are just not made to take this kind of use.

I'm curious, what kind of use can I realistically give this gun if I want to shoot a few rounds of clays with it every now and then. I shot a 100 round of clays with it today and had a lot of fun. Enjoyed it, but don't want to abuse the girl.

Sidelock
Sidelock

just my opinion, it is more important what shell/load you shoot than the qty. When I first got into doubles I traded a few LC's for an english boxlock. Because it was light I shot light loads, a lot of them. I think I averaged 5,000 a year for several years and saw absolutely no wear on that gun. Obviously if you put 20,000 rounds through it there will likely be wear on the lock up.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mild 7/8 oz. loads. You can’t hurt it.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good points... I am not about to go order a case of RSTs for this (that is, even if RSTs were available right now)>

I plan to stick with 7/8oz ..2 1/2Dram Eq. of Rem Gun Clubs, Federals at 7.5 or 8s. That will be the same for Woodcock, Grouse and Clays.
For the Pheasant season, it'll be a standard type hunting load (nothing crazy) and it wown't be more than 100 of those a year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and if the wood cracks, just glue her up an keep on shootin...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not so sure I agree with that approach, Eddie. I have 4 12 gauge L.C. Smiths, all graded and with ejectors and DT== Oldest is a 4E mfg. 1909, a pigeon grade made in 1911, a Ideal Longrange made in 1928, and a Ideal FWE made in 1945. I only shoot RST low velocity target loads in them- I have never shot a 3" or a steel load in my Longrange, nor do I ever plan too. The 4E is the main gun I use for SC's--28" Imp. Cyl & Mod. (sometimes the Pigeon, 28" Imp. Cyl. and Full) all have years of careful use, no cracks in the locks or grip areas-- If I were fortunate to own comparable London Bests-instead of these "Elsie"- I would also use RST exclusively in them as well. Pre-1913 Smiths have one other factor in their favor--Better American Walnut was available, once WW1 got rollin'-lotsa good crotch walnut in American timberlands got turned into rifle stocks and airplane propellers. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pre-1913 Elsies had French walnut stocks, not American walnut, RWTF.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Use low pressure loads for all your shooting and that Elsie will outlast you. I think Elsies have an undeserved reputation on their quality. I have two, including my granddad’s 12GA. I’ve shot the sh!t out of them using low pressure loads and never had a problem. I think at one point, keith posted a thread showing what it took to get a set of Elsie barrels to fail. As I recall, it took a surprising amount of abuse, but I don’t recall the details. Maybe he’ll chime in on it. Your granddad’s 20 is a nice gun BTW.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting--even the OO grades? The Pigeon Grade 12 I own has almost an ebony look to the wood, both buttstock and forearm, fine even grain. Would it be fair to assume that France and other walnut producing European Countries saw their consumption of fine Bastogne walnut going into rifle stocks, Broomhandled C96 Mausers, and propellors for Spads, Nieports, and Sopwith Camels, instead of Purdey, Boss et al.?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Interesting--even the OO grades?"

Yes according the pre-13 catalogs, the Grade OO gun was fitted with "English walnut stock; half pistol, checkered and well finished". In fact, and according to period catalogs, even the cheapest hammer gun model had an English walnut stock; but wood was obviously plain grained on lower end models. When the company changed their grades line-up in 1913 a decision was made to switch stock wood from English to the less expensive American black walnut.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.