March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#593214 03/02/21 07:07 AM
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friendship of over 50 years of hunting and fishing ended yesterday with his death at age 76 on March 1st. My last hunt with him was January 19th when we hunted his property for quail which he rigorously maintained for deer, quail and turkey. He called me on the 23rd after testing positive and told me that he began symptoms of Covid the day after we hunted. He fought the disease at home with fever and other complications for two weeks and was hospitalized for the last time on February 5th.

Burke was 76, a successful businessman who made his fortune hauling garbage. He bought his first company which consisted of a few trucks and an established route in the 1970s and transformed it with the aid of Alice, his former wife, into the largest privately owned trash collecting company in the Southeast. During spring gobbler season, he’d on occasion cancel our hunts when a driver failed to show up for his route in Waycross over 2 hours from his business center. He’d drive the truck himself to service the route. He sold the business to a national concern over 20 years ago. He had the foresight to build a landfill on clear cut property which he acquired when his first business began to grow. After the covenant not to compete expired, with the aid of his son, Ben, they built another successful trash company which is an ongoing, successful business.

He was a USAF navigator on C-124 Globemasters for the Georgia Air National Guard and flew missions all over the world including to SE Asia during the Vietnam War. The Globemaster could often handle outsized cargo that couldn’t be carried in other planes.

He grew up on a family dairy farm and went to Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College before deciding it wasn’t for him and transferred to UGA where we first met. One of my favorite stories about Burke was told to me by him years ago. While he was student at ABAC in Tifton, GA., he couldn't take his bird dog, but he took his shotgun. His roommate and he would drive his convertible Impala on the dirt roads, looking for bird dogs on the farmers' porches. They would coax the dogs into the car and go quail hunting on the surrounding farms. They got to know which dogs were better than others. One good dog would wait for them at the mailbox. One day when they returned a particularly good dog, the farmer was waiting for them. "You boys been hunting my dog?" "Yessir" they sheepishly replied. "That's okay, he's a good one. You always bring him back home. There are two coveys in the back corner of the field. Have at'em." He had excellent dogs from his teenage years through the present. His current three English Pointers were staggered in ages and were trained by Burke and his son Ben. They were broke to wing and shot and as steady as a rock. His retriever was Gauge, a 4 year-old English Cocker dynamo. He hunted his property on a custom Jeep with two tiers of elevated seats and dog boxes below the third row of seats.

In addition to the 1500 acres of managed property we hunted in January, he has 5500 acres in another county which is under supervision by Tall Timbers for production of wild quail habitat. Burke was an accomplished blue water fisherman who fished the major bill fishing tournaments on the East Coast with a full time captain. His current boat is a 59’ Carolina built sportfisher by Weaver and at the time of his death had ordered a 60’ Norseman which would’ve taken two years for delivery.

Burke had the finest dove fields I have had the privilege of hunting over the years. Among his half-dozen or so dove fields, two were 30 acre fields with alternating rows of corn, sunflower and benne which held doves for most of the season. Deer and hog predation were eliminated on those two fields with permanent high fencing on both fields. He did this for his friends. He enjoyed the camaraderie and social gathering of a Southern dove shoot with the after the hunt gathering and celebration.

We began wild turkey hunting together in 1977 when the first season was opened in our part of the state. We were able to hunt together last spring on two occasions. He was as good a man as he was a friend. He got into the double game late but in fine fashion. He had a high grade bespoke Beretta O/U made for him after being fitted in NYC. When we last hunted in January, his gun was a highly engraved M21 20 ga. with gold inlays tastefully created by the Winchester custom shop in 1973 and purchased from Kevin’s of Thomasville, Ga. before this season. The wood is highly figured. Before he could order a letter from Cody, the virus struck.

The photos below are of Burke and me in the early 80s. He’s standing with his Ithaca Mag 10 Auto. The other photo was taken in the mid 70s after a dove shoot at Jimmy’s in Soperton, GA. L-R. Billy, Jimmy, Burke and me.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/62878_640x480/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
GLS #593217 03/02/21 07:27 AM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a one of a kind guy and someone who it would have been a pleasure to meet. Sorry for your loss Gil.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
GLS #593218 03/02/21 07:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having never met Mr. Wall I nonetheless felt as if we were kindred spirits due to the enthusiastic praise I have heard from you, as we hunted together ourselves, Gil. I'm saddened for you, and for his family. You were fortunate to have had him as a friend, but he was blessed to have been able to call you friend, too, as am I.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS #593225 03/02/21 09:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My condolences Gil, to you and his family. Sounds like a hell of a guy.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS #593233 03/02/21 10:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Such friends are few and having one a gift. While I am sorry for his passing, his journey made so many people better. RIP.

GLS #593236 03/02/21 11:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sorry to hear that news, Gil. You and I have reached the age where our old hunting buddies and other friends and even old sweethearts are departing this world. Lets just think of ourselves as survivors as long as we can.
Best...Geo

GLS #593246 03/02/21 02:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saddened to hear of his loss. Sounds like someone I’d have enjoyed meeting. I know there will be an empty place in your heart that he used to occupy. My prayers for his family and friends.

GLS #593248 03/02/21 03:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS;

Thank you for sharing your memories of your dear friend and hunting partner. It was a joy to read of such friendship lasting so many years.

I hope God will comfort you and Burke's family as you mourn for him.

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

South Carolina

GLS #593249 03/02/21 03:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear you lost a great friend Gil.

Ken

GLS #593253 03/02/21 04:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for your loss Gil. I lost my best hunting buddy and a great friend since junior high to cancer at a fairly young age several years ago. I can tell you that what you are now feeling is still going to feel like a gut punch years from now. I suppose that is the price men pay for a lifetime of great memories.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.