March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, it isnt very refined, but I absolutely treasure my late 1930's Savage 219. I have most of the barrels you could get:

.30-30
.22 Hornet
12 ga
16 ga
20 ga
.410 ga

It isnt fancy, but it's slam tight reliable, and my favorite rifle in a tight stand and shot inside of 75 with 30-30. The Hornet has a 1950's Weaver KV on it, and shoots incredibly tight groups. It's aces on PA turkey across fields a shotgun wont bridge.

The pre-war 219's are the very best of them, and I have seen a couple that owners have restocked with Circassian wood and had finely engraved.

NDG

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it simply amounts to the eyes of the beholder. Everyone has a different perspective due to personal likes, monetary considerations, etc, etc. What I feel is quite expensive to me may be considered minor peanuts to another person. And at the same time the same amount may be thought of as an incredible amount to another person. I spent 15 years (up to 50 days per season) in Idaho Chukar and Hun hunting with guns that were very dear to ME ( read that as expensive to ME ) and some considered me an idiot (no comments, please) for exposing those guns to those hunting conditions. Enjoyment of the equipment used was / is part of the total enjoyment. To me this whole thing is rather like saying a Mercedes is better than an inexpensive Toyota Corolla. They essentially do exactly the same thing and with reasonable care and maintainenc either one will last the owner's lifetime and possibly beyond. Yeah, I'd prefer to own the Mercedes but it's pretty much beyond my reach. No question that the Mercedes is more "finely" made and more luxurious but, is that truly necessary? No, but it surely is nice if one can afford it and appreciate it. I can certainly appreciate it but not afford it. However I am certainly glad that others are able to do so. The beautiful shotguns turned out by the Brits mostly came about during a time when a very few and very wealthy individuals established a market for them. Obviously this market still exists today to some extent. There's no doubt in my mind that the American gunmakers could have equalled the Brits in "Best Gun" making had they had the need or market to do so. YMMV.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.