March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wonder if any of you have an easy surefire method for correctly aligning the stock bolt hole orientation in a new stock blank ?
Done wrongly it can result in a scrapped piece of expensive wood .
As an example I just looked at a Perazzi stock , a hole drilled/bored 12" through the stock , at the butt end there is a hole 3/4" diameter to accomodate bolt head socket , this is 6" deep so the next 6" of depth is 3/8" diameter to accomodate a 1/4" or 6mm stock bolt .
The Butt end is 5" depth and the 3/4" hole is bored 2&3/4" from the toe of the stock & 2&1/4" from the heel . The bolt protrudes through the stock hole at the head by about 1" down from the comb .
NOW ! How do they do that ? With a jig ? A prayer ?
It would be nice to hear from an expert stocker on what method they use .
Thank you all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

salopian,
I am the poorest stocker on the board, but answered this question in the earlier thread.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I want to see the right side of the stock head where he allowed the stock to contact the cutting end of the rotating gun drill bit at 4:47

I'm guessing that left a mark! But maybe he was just in a hurry so he could keep the video short??? Or maybe he was one of those gunsmiths that return your gun with dings and damage it didn't have when it was dropped off.

I was also surprised to see the cutting tip angle ground into the standard fluted pilot bit, and the gun drill bit. They both appear to be ground with angles more suited to boring holes in metal than in hardwood.

This same principle of drilling between centers is covered in various gunsmithing texts. And it can also be accomplished in a drill press. But most bench models will not be tall enough to accommodate the long bit and the stock or stock blank, along with the centering pin held in the vise. Obviously, an extra set of hands, or at least a foot pedal switch is helpful. This is also how the holes for tang screws (or pins) are drilled to come out where they belong.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Recoil Rob ,
Thank you for the very informative video .
Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well , but I was more concerned with getting the angle correct to ensure the bolt secured the head of the stock correctly .
As some of said on the other thread , I maybe am too fussy , but it's best to do things correctly .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, To get the correct angle for the hole, make a fullscale drawing of the action with the through bolt in place. Extend it's center line to the butt end of the stock. Mark the rear surface where you want the hole to come out.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Bill and everyone else , I've got my head around the issue now , thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.