March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#594749 03/31/21 08:50 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at a Stoeger Imported Mannlicher in 30-06. Rear bridge has a "one legged" scope base, has a Co. mfg. Redfield 4X scope- 20" barrel and double set triggers. about 80% oal condition as to blueing, checkering, wood- ?? with 2 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber, do you have to manually work the bolt to unload the weapon- doesn't seem to be a drop down hinged floorplate- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Run With The Fox #594754 03/31/21 09:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxey,
You didn't say which type your rifle, but your statement that the rear bridge has a "one legged" scope base leads me to think it is a Mannlicher Schoenauer. If this is the case, there should be a small "button" in the right hand receiver rail, just ahead of the bolt handle. Open the bolt and press this button, and any cartridges in the magazine should come out.
Mike

Der Ami #594768 03/31/21 12:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Danke, Mike- I put 3 a-zoom dummy 30-06 rds. in the magazine, racked one into the chamber, and dry-fired it-- opened the bolt and it ejected the a-zoom, and then racked in the second round-ditto. I noticed that stippled button on the receiver rail for the box magazine, will try it when I fire it with live rds. later. What is the right process to "re-set" the weapon on safe with the 2 triggers- I have never owned or shot a BA rifle with that feature-- assume I have set the rear trigger, with the safety lever over to the rh "fire" position-- how do I safely "unset" the triggers-- Danke-- Der Fuchs

Run With The Fox #594780 03/31/21 02:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

To 'un-set' the triggers,,,CArefully,,,w/o touching the front trigger,,,,pull the Rear trigger to the rear and HOLD it there. Then while still holding the rear trigger back,,pull the front trigger. That will release the rear trigger.
The rear trigger will let go under it's heavy spring tension so be prepared to hold it back so it does NOT spring forward and trip the sear.
That would fire the rifle.
Hold the rear trigger back once it's released (you will feel it so), and then carefully let the rear trigger forward till it stays static. It will remain in a neutral position and not touch the sear inside and the rifle will not rifle .

You can still fire the rifle by pulling the front trigger just by itself. It is a long and usually heavy pull. But is there to be used if the DST is not wanted.

This type of DST is called a double lever DST. The trigger fires from either position.
Some early (mostly muzzle loader & Target rifles) DST fire only from the 'set' position. These are called Single lever DST.

Kutter #594788 03/31/21 03:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that the method described works, but why not re-engage the wing safety before performing it? I have been hunting with rifles with double set triggers for years and that is the solution I use. Actually, with the safety engaged, it is theoretically possible to simply pull the front trigger without causing an accidental discharge, but I prefer your method of holding the rear trigger back while releasing the front trigger and then easing it forward. It goes without saying that the muzzle must be pointed in a safe direction during the process in any case.

Last edited by xausa; 03/31/21 03:33 PM.
Run With The Fox #594792 03/31/21 04:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, gents- Now I know why Hemingway had his Mannlichers converted by G&H to a single trigger-- this Steyr was made for Stoeger export- has the chrome finished bolt with std. curved handle (not the earlier "butterknife" style, also is not marked for caliber on receiver-and if I buy it, I will justs hoot it with the front trigger-not being used to a double or single set trigger.RWTF

Run With The Fox #594793 03/31/21 04:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the above mentioned methods will work. I have a M1952 M/S & it always makes me a bit nervous to unset the trigger on a live round. xausa's method is probably the safest but unless the rifle has no scope or the scope is mounted extremely high there is not enough room under the occular end of the scope to engage the wing safety.

All of the post war M/S rifles have either a side safety or a tang safety in addition to the wing safety which will (in theory) prevent the rifle from firing set or unset if the trigger is pulled while engaged.

What I do to unset the trigger when loaded is to engage the side safety & then with the rifle pointed in a safe direction open the bolt & remove the cartridge in the chamber then with the bolt still open use Kutter's method of unsetting the trigger. Alternately you can also simply pull the front trigger to unset it with the bolt open & chamber empty but this puts more wear on the trigger system.

The magazine is best unloaded by pushing the button on the right bolt rail.

All in all the Steyr M/S is a neat & well made rifle & mine (a .270 WCF Stutzen) is very accurate but I still prefer to hunt with a Mauser 98 or Winchester Model 70 & w/ a good single stage trigger.

xausa #594795 03/31/21 04:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy,
Like xausa, I have been hunting with set triggers, both double and single, for many, many years. The first rule is do not set the trigger until you are ready to shoot. My German gunsmith buddy said it is better to hunt with the safety off and the trigger unset, than with the trigger set and the safety on. This sounds wrong, but it was intended to convey the danger of walking around with the trigger set. If you use Kutter's method or xausa's methods, more than likely it won't fire. If you open the bolt ( just a fraction of an inch) or if a break open gun, open it up; then it can't fire. If you set the trigger before you are ready to shoot, it is too easy to forget that it is set. With single set triggers, you can't "ease" it forward. On the other hand set triggers are wonderful.
Mike

Der Ami #594824 04/01/21 10:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 1903 Stutzen doesn't need a scope:
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
On the other hand I have always found it strange that no one has thought to offer a low scope safety, like the Buehler Mauser safety, for the Mannlicher Cshoenauer.

Run With The Fox #594830 04/01/21 01:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just don't like manipulating the Safety with the DST set.
It's just easy to grab ahold of the rear/set trigger and hold it there. It's secure and the rifle cannot fire at that point.
Then release it by touching the front trigger.

With a DST,,The kicker sear and the bolt sear are engaged with release still measured in lbs.
It's the DST mechanism itself that has the let-off measured in oz. or part of. The engagement of the DST trigger sears is still (or should be) positive.
It's simple leverage within the DST mechanism that allow the extremely light let-off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.