April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Replacement, 12boreman, Mark II, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, graybeardtmm3), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,022
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

HalfaDouble,
My own 8x57R/360 is a top lever hammerless and is even lighter and handier than my favorite which is an 8x57IRS( both 16 ga 2 3/4", but the smaller one was rechambered from 65mm and reproofed at Ulm in 1969). Drillings for 8x58R S&S, 8x57R/360, 8.15x46R, etc, were usually made on a smaller frame than used for the M88 and M93 base cartridges. There is really a noticeable difference between these and 12 ga's.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your looking for a 12ga there is one forsale on 24 Hourcampfire, the seller is a pretty standup guy.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...l-90-drilling-fs-12ga-7x65r#Post16059125

Last edited by oskar; 05/06/21 01:09 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well Gents,
I've finally "pulled the trigger" on buying my first drilling. Now I just need to wait for it to arrive.

After much research and deliberation, I decided a post-war 16 gauge drilling chambered for modern shotshells and a commonly available rimmed rifle cartridge would suit me best. I also thought a rifle caliber in 7mm would be a good choice because I'm already setup to reload 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag and have a supply of various bullets to work with. I should be able to reload 7x57R by getting a set of 7mm Mauser reloading dies and a rimmed shell holder. I also prefer a length of pull around 14 1/2" and for the quintessential drilling experience, I absolutely wanted a vintage name brand German scope in claw mounts.

I also looked at the various methods of actuating and cocking the rifle barrel, and thought the traditional top selector (which also actuates an iron sight in the rib) with the side Greener safety would be best. The various tang safeties and separate rifle cocking levers may be more ergonomic, but I really wanted to go with the traditional Greener safety- even if it means learning how to use it instinctively. I can switch between single and double trigger guns unconsciously, so learning a Greener safety can be accomplished.

So after that big lead in, what did I pick after scouring every place I could find for two months? I decided on something from Tobi and George of Save the Fine Guns. My first drilling will be a post-war J.P. Sauer & Sohn, 16 gauge 2 3/4" chambered, Imp/Mod chokes over 7x57R. It has a 6X42 Zeiss Diatal in claw mounts and a 14 1/2" LOP. Made in the early 1960's. This one checked all the boxes for me, so I ended my hunt and said I'd take it.

The gun is still in Germany with Tobi and it will be a couple months at least before I get it, hopefully in time for the end of pheasant season. After picking out this drilling, Tobi contacted me and we had a nice long conversation via internet call. Because I was a first time customer, Tobi wanted to make sure I knew how to properly care for the drilling. This was really quite a pleasant chat and I feel very comfortable with the process. Tobi said he personally inspects all the guns he lists and guarantees them. I hope the rest of the waiting and importation process goes as smoothly and that I have some pictures to post by late fall.

Thank you to all who shared their experience and gave me advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason,
I think you made a good, well reasoned, choice. I started using a 7x57R in 1971 and have never regretted the choice. You stated you can reload the 7x57R with standard 7x57 dies, but with the correct shell holder. That is how I always loaded for mine. As I was loading 30-40 Krag, at the time, I opened up the 30-40 shell holder with a Dremel tool and used it. The correct shell holder won't be hard to find now. I had the best results with bullets 160- 173 grains and fairly slow powder( 4831). Newer powders may be better than 4831. When I started, I had to sort Berdan primed cases from Boxer primed ones, but you will likely only encounter Boxer primed ones. The American primers and bullets are proper so you will have no problems. Also, you will find the 6x42 scope is excellent in low light, I have a 6x42 Hensoldt on my favorite drilling and have complete confidence in it. Good luck, I hope you take a deer with it this year.
Mike

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.