March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 52 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 51 52
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, I hope I can add something useful to this terrific thread! I was beginning to think that I was the only pinfire nut left .......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome, ivanhoe. There are at least a few of us!

I just picked up a couple neat excavated English pinfire shotshells:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, Take a look at Ryedaleauctioneers.com I have 3 pinfire guns for sale there this coming Saturday. Lot Numbers 117, 118and 119. 117 has a very unusual grip safety. I have only come across 3 others in the last 44 years. One was a Purdey, back in 2015, which was sold at Christies, London. I hope to post some pictures of my last 3 remaining pinfires shortly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, I have 3 pinfires up for sale at Ryedale Auctioneers this coming Saturday. 2 by Blanch, one by Masu BrothersThe lot numbers are 117, 118, 119. The 117 is a very nice Blanch, with a very rare "grip" safety. A leftover from the dying days of percussion. I have only ever come across 4 in 44 years. One sold at Christies London in 2015. A Purdey. Take a look at Ryedale online catalogue, let me know what you think? Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Steve, I have 3 pinfires for sale at Ryedale Auctioneers this coming Saturday, you might take a look? Their photographs are somewhat sparse. They post the results of their past auctions, too, so you might find the pinfires I sold there over the last 2 years. Dave

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ivanhoe, I hope your sale is successful and these fine guns find new homes. I see two J. Blanch & Sons, and a Masu Brothers, in the sale. Early in this thread I pictured a J. Blanch lever-over-guard, number 4696, similar to one you have at action. The earlier Blanch you have in the sale, with the single-bite, forward-underlever and the grip safety, is a nice early example and very interesting (sadly the auction house did not list the serial number). Here is the picture of lot 117 off the auction site:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Grip safeties are an interesting hold-over from the percussion era, and they are unusual enough on pinfire guns that it is difficult to determine just when makers stopped incorporating this feature. A grip safety makes sense if you are spending time around the muzzle end of loaded barrels, as one might do when loading/unloading a percussion cap gun -- but not so relevant on a breech-loader.

I've encountered three pinfire game guns with grip safeties in about 26 years of searching, so adding your 4 in 44, makes for 7 encountered in 70 combined years of digging... rare indeed. For those not wishing to scroll back into the pages of this thread, here are the three I described earlier:

Harris Holland no. 824

Hugh Snowie no. 3277

Unknown conversion

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, the serial number of the Blanch is 3626. The other Blanch shows no serial number, except for the number 307on the fore-end hook. I doubt this is it,s serial numberI I sold a H Holland pinfire, a nice example, last year, straight - forward, no grip safety
Have you ever trawled the jblanchdatabase.co.uk lots of pinfires there, some with photographs, and one of them, a 10g has a grip safety !

Last edited by ivanhoe; 04/19/21 02:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Powell patent action pinfire and centerfire guns in my collection with grip safeties.
The latest installation I've located in their records was 1909.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That.s very late for a grip safety, which was really a hangover from percussion days. All the ones I have seen were made before 1868. Can you show pictures of them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you take a look at the 3 pinfires I have for sale at Ryedale Auctioneers on Saturday? What did you think to them Dave

Page 35 of 52 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.