March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 804 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

A gentleman raised this issue over on 16.com. I'm on something of a mission to save what hearing I have left and was curious if anybody here knows anything about these folks or... if there are additional options they might suggest?

https://tetrahearing.com/

I finally broke down and got fitted for hearing aids last week at Costco (super deal!). Got sick of saying "huh" all the time to my wife. Too-many rock concerts and sets of uncapped headers in my history, that and almost zero protection while shooting for the 1st half of my life has tinnitus with me almost constantly anymore

Figuring on playing the long game now. What don't I know?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/23/21 06:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny...I recently conceded to old age and hit the Costco myself.

Costco rated really well by Consumer Reports for hearing aids and have about 12% of the US hearing aid market. I went middle of the road and picked up the Rextons. So far (2 months in) I like them. If nothing else my wife is happier!

As for hunting I typically wear foam plugs or the baffle type for birds. For deer I don’t bother unless I’m in a blind...then I wear the Peltor electronic muffs with sound amplification (they block loud but amplify everything else.)

I do find myself in a quandary as Turkey season starts May 1st....And with the aids I do hear birds much better...However, the Rexton hearing aids don’t block loud noises. Maybe i’ll crack the crossbow out this T season?

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear ya Lloyd "Excuse the pun"

My lifetime of work & play has me in in a similar situation to yours. I've been thinking about looking into electronic hearing protection devices myself. Personally I would start my search in our backyard with ESP Hearing protection which is located in Brighton. They've been at this game a long time and have a solid reputation.

https://www.espamerica.com/

Last edited by dogon; 04/24/21 10:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not used Tetra products, but these things have become somewhat generic. I have been wearing Starkeys for over twenty years, and just ordered a new pair in case the old ones die mid-season. My first pair was analog, but I'm pretty sure all the new ones are digital. I prefer the sound quality of the analogs, but my audiologist tells me that the digitals are better in terms of absolute hearing protection. In the Tetra lineup, the only ones to seriously consider are the CustomShield models. Why? Because those are the only ones that cover the boney part of the outer ear. That bone will transmit sound vibrations to the inner ear, and loud noises damage the cilia. The more of that bone that is protected, the more effective the hearing protection is. Regardless of which brand you select, get one that includes custom molds for your ears and that covers as much of the outer ear as possible. Look at levels of amplification available in each product, attack time in the electronics, Db level at which the unit attenuates, overall Noise Reduction Rating (NRR), convenience of making adjustments. Some of the new units are rechargeable (my new ones are), but if you get units with replaceable batteries it would be convenient to select one that uses the same batteries as your hearing aids. Re the ear molds, you will probably have a choice of silicone or lucite for the final product. Silicone is more comfortable, but breaks down over time and then requires expensive repair. My first ones were silicone, new ones are all lucite. Just like guns, fit is of paramount importance for effective hearing protection, so buy from a competent provider, preferably an audiologist who can tune the digitals to partially compensate for your specific hearing loss. These thinsgs are not hearing aids but share some of the same functionality, so try to take advantage of the technology. As an example, my new Starkeys let me stream from my iPhone so that I can listen to a football game while I am sitting in the duck blind, and still have full protection if I get the opportunity to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very happy with SportEar by Axil custom molded 360’s. No cheap, but they restore almost total hearing loss in one ear and protect from gunshot level noise.

HWK
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Dogon: I'd heard about the EPS units from a fellow I've been shooting with lately. They're local so....that makes them very convenient. Thank you for the contact info.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/25/21 01:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't remember the name of mine off hand, but one suggestion I would make is to look for active plugs that have a recharging case.

my brother and I both use active hearing protection, but his require new batteries like a hearing aid. mine have a case that recharges the plugs while they are in it. the case battery lasts a very long time between charges, so I really only charge the case once in a while.

Edit: mine are Otto brand. Small waterproof case. Have been great for a few years. For the first time, I am seeing that one of the plugs is not consistently connecting to the case.

With that caveat, what you see is case at 80% battery, left ear plug at 100,% and right at 50%. Has been sitting in the closet since Jan 31.

The only things I would see as an upgrade to these would be a custom molded ear piece, and bluetooth for ease of accepting of calls, etc while shooting. And, now I realize, perhaps the longevity... definitely disappointing to see the one earpiece not connecting well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Woodreaux; 04/25/21 04:19 PM.

Jim
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Put me down as a member of the COSTCO club. I told myself my hearing loss was a sign of a life lived (albeit neglectful) and got over the stigma. People can't even see them unless I tell them. I realized I needed them one Thanksgiving dinner a few years back. I was at the table with the whole family, there were 3 different conversations going on at once and I felt alone. Anyone who's thinking about it probably needs them.

I believe what Woodreaux's referring to are 3M/Peltor TEP 100. I've been using them for 5-6 years now and they're quite good and reasonably priced. They were designed for tactical situations but are great for hunting.

They are active plugs that shut down at the gun report, they have normal and amplified hearing setting, handy for deer hunting.

The TEP 100's I have are the basic model and I don't think I'd need anything better for hunting. MIne have the case that holds 3 AA cells that charge them, I get 6-8 hours from a charge.

They make a model that charges from a USB I think and then there's the model that let's users speak with each other covertly, handy in a tactical situation, not so much needed when hunting and you can just talk to the guy next to you.

I highly recommend them.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017...al-electronic-ambient-listening-earplugs

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at the TEPs as well and almost bought them. I've really liked the Otto, which is almost the same price. Until today, when I discovered the charger connection issue, I would have had no reservation about recommending the otto's. to be fair to them, they get pretty beat up in my hunting vest and truck door pocket.

Jim
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Being a prideful old dog, this was a hard choice. Appreciate you folks chiming in when you did and adding all of the useful information. I feel alot better about the path I'm headed down now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.