April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AaronN, Der Ami, fallschirmjaeger, arrieta2, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 961 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,706
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK-- field strip both a M12-pre-1960, and the same yom M37. What's behind the bolt of a M12 when it is in battery, and a live round in the chamber ahead of it?? Now ask the same question about a M37-- granted, John M. Browning developed the M17 Remington, which morphed into the Ithaca M37 some years later--Ask your self how many ATA Cham[ionships have been won with pump guns?? OK- of that number, how do the Model 12, Model 31, Model 870 and Model 37 Trap guns claim their share of the trophy cups and money awards?? I rest my case.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Single loading a 37 is easy, action open, push the carrier all the way up to the top of the action with the shell, close the action. No extra shucking necessary. 37's are for hunting though!
Chief

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Counting the Remington 17, the ancestor to the Ithaca M37, the design has been continuously manufactured for over a century. Fewer parts than an M12, saner barrel takedown, no stamped parts as in the 870. Solid, reliable shotgun, and lighter weight than the Winchesters or 870. I have all three, but my favorite is the Ithaca. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

AZ Mike's comment about "extra shucking" refers to shooters who have never been taught how to use a Model 37. ChiefAmungun explains how it is done. AZ Mike, maybe you should "take the course" on Model 37s and learn how to load one. However, the Model 37 was never popular at the ATA shoots because of the different loading procedure and the shells on the ground under your feet. It is easy to catch empties with a Model 12 or 870, but impossible with the Ithaca. Graded Ithacas are extremely rare compared to Model 12s and are selling for very high prices when found in high condition with Knick ribs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eighbore,
I have a shot many dove with a model 17 and although I don't single shoot it I am familiar with it's function. I owned a trap range/campground and restaurant for 17 years, we threw over 600,000 targets a season. I bought the first sets of voice actuated calls in Arizona in the late 90's. Extra targets thrown by inexperienced calling and ill timed gun noises are a financial "leak" to a gun club.Ted's idea if a target is thrown inadvertantly "just call for another" is wasteful and costs the operator money. When I would see new shooters and specifically pump guns and autos they would get a quick and friendly class on when to close up their actions and don't talk to your buds on the line! New shooters like to "explain" their misses and cuss at the targets, this really confuses the 3 second time delay in the Canterberry calls.

Last edited by AZMike; 04/26/21 08:33 AM.
1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting 8-Bore. I have never heard the term you used- "Knick" rib. My 1940's era Pigeon Grade Trap has the so-called "Old Milled Rib" and as that is the only one of my 7 M12's with a ventilated rib, I have nothing to compare it to in the WRA lineup. Could you possibly "splain'"" a bit here. I traded off the the Rem 31TC 12 bore years ago, most likely against an L.C. Smith, who knew?? WRA started to "bite the dust" in 1964-- looks like Remington-UMC, except for ammo, is closing out gun production. Do they still own the rights to the Parker tradename, going back to 1934?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A capital holding company (JJE, the parent of Palmetto State Armory) got Parker as well as H&R and some other bits.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/26/21 10:27 AM.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can’t seem to buy a new one either. Been showing out of stock for quite awhile now. Hope they didn’t stop making them. Just cranking out 1911’s?

https://ithacagun.com/product/model-37-featherlight/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sold two 16s a few weeks ago. I'd bought them for my twins, neither of whom is a shooter as an adult.

I've still got a lot of other guns to get into someone else's hands over the next few years. None of my kids are interested and my wife doesn't want to be dealing with them when I'm gone. Makes me a bit sad, but I guess the memories are only mine and the guns have no real meaning without them to my children.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AZMike
eighbore,
I have a shot many dove with a model 17 and although I don't single shoot it I am familiar with it's function. I owned a trap range/campground and restaurant for 17 years, we threw over 600,000 targets a season. I bought the first sets of voice actuated calls in Arizona in the late 90's. Extra targets thrown by inexperienced calling and ill timed gun noises are a financial "leak" to a gun club.Ted's idea if a target is thrown inadvertantly "just call for another" is wasteful and costs the operator money. When I would see new shooters and specifically pump guns and autos they would get a quick and friendly class on when to close up their actions and don't talk to your buds on the line! New shooters like to "explain" their misses and cuss at the targets, this really confuses the 3 second time delay in the Canterberry calls.

You still haven’t explained all the extra shucking you blamed on one model of pump shotgun.

Last I checked, the cost of a clay bird was about $0.07, when purchased by the full semi load. Most operators are getting $.75-1.00 a bird, and selling a bit of hospitality, beverages and bar food, along with a round. That ain’t much of a leak. I don’t know anybody who I trust with a shotgun to not be able to figure out how to keep an accidental throw from happening after it happens once. It seems like it is usually someone yelling at someone else, over their hearing protection that causes an accidental throw. My guns, auto, pump, or double, don’t set the throwers off at my club. More common, I end up calling for my bird, twice. But, only one field has the things up and running since the high schools started having shooting programs for kids. The family that owns my club is extraordinarily generous to the high school programs, and gives a bunch of kids the opportunity to work at the club to help ease the cost of their sport. A bunch of kids take them up on it, too.

A model 37 (or, a model 17, I own both) is a fine shotgun for clays games and hunting.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.