March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Posted this on the "Southern" line but no response; I need some sort of help by tomorrow before going over to Southern...small beer but somehow interesting:

Hanging out at the Southern today...met and talked to Joe from Charlotte, Vic Venters and several more DGS participants.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

But I saw a Reilly discussed before on the Reilly line with replacement barrels and the lines of a 1900's rifle, converted to shotgun - SN 1833, (see bottom of this page):
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436538&page=54

I looked the gun over today...replacement barrels; pretty sure it was a rifle converted to shotgun. The SN is not in the Reilly numbering chronology but is on the barrels and tang. It's been reproofed as well as rebarreled. It is heavy so I think it really looks like a 1907 rifle. But here is the strange thing...no Scott Gas Check patent grooves.

-- Question: Was the Scott Gas Check Patent 617 of Feb 1882 used only on shotguns? or was it also used on big bore SxS rifles as well?

Last edited by Argo44; 04/23/21 10:20 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Someone must know the answer:

Here is the rebarreled, reproofed Reilly SN "1833" w/o Scott gas check - with the weight, barrel length, pistol grip stock it is almost certainly repurposed from a big bore rifle:

It looks very similar to this gun SN 35554 (1907):

I'm thinking there is one of three possibilities for "1833":
-- It was made before Feb 1882 (very unlikely)
-- Big bore rifles did not use the gas check patent, (another indication that "1833" was originally a rifle.)
-- Or there's been major work in the action (no indication of this).

So someone must know if the Scott Gas Check Patent was used on rifles.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No answers so I'll add this:

This is Reilly 8 bore SN 25383 Dated per the chart to early cal 1883. It is now a shotgun rebarreled with 28" steel barres, with the 295 Oxford Street address (after March 1903, possibly not till May 1904). It was formerly one of Terry Buffum's Reilly's now residing with SXS 40.

I concluded it was originally a big-bore rifle repurposed after 1904 as a shotgun; reason - pistol grip stock; weight; barrels much shorter than should be found on a fowler. Here is the Amoskeog advertisement:
Blue steel dovetail lump barrels with a single bead sight on the smooth rib marked "E.M. REILLY & Co. 295 OXFORD St. LONDON", doll's head rib extension, single extractor, and mixed London and Birmingham proofs on the flats. Heavyweight, casehardened action and locks with sculpted fences and hammers. London and Birmingham proofs on the water table, and knurled under lever. The lock plates and action feature flourishes of light scroll engraving with maker's marks on each lock. Checkered forearm and pistol grip stock with lightly engraved fittings, Anson latch gold initial oval engraved with the bust of a roaring lion, and solid recoil pad.

I asked harry to see if there was a Scott Gas Check patent use number on the faces. There are on other Reilly shotguns from that time period:

There are none. So until someone can post otherwise, the conclusion is that for some reason the Scott Gas Check patent was used only (or for the most part) on shotguns. If someone has a gas check on a 1880's-90's rifle, would much appreciate seeing a photo.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/28/21 07:31 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somewhat better looking now with a new pad and stock refinish. I know, thick pads are ugly but the gun had a very short LOP. It is a blast, (pun intended) to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by SXS 40; 04/28/21 08:49 PM.

HWK
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are two Reilly big bore rifles from the 1880's which were pictured in DGJ. Perhaps there is reference to a gas check patent in those articles or a picture?

26781 (Dec 1885): E.M. Reilly .320 2/14" boxlock SxS rifle by E.M Reilly; Pictured Double Gun Journal, Spring 2014, p50, and described pp 69 & 70.:

25711 (late 1884). Cal. 8 Bore. (.850 Groove diameter, 11 grooves). 3-1/4″ Chambers. 28″ Fine Damascus bbls are fitted with broad file cut matted rib (with dolls head extension), holding one standing, three folding leaf express rear, and small silver bead front, sights. Tops of bbls are engraved “E. M. Reilly & Co” and “502 New Oxford St. London”.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/29/21 04:39 PM.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

26781 appears to be a Westley sourced action by looking at the top lever.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sent a query to Cal Pappas in Alaska, who probably has handled as many big-bore SxS rifles from the late 1800's as anybody. He wrote that he has never seen a gas-check on a big bore SxS rifle.

So, until we hear otherwise, this is one more way to identify SxS's that have have been converted to shotguns from rifles after the arrival of the Scott Gas-Check patent. I.e. if a SxS shotgun looks like it might have been a rifle, and has no gas-check, it likely was indeed originally a rifle.

Now the question - Why were big bore rifle cartridges less corrosive than shotgun shells? Was it the number of rounds one cycled through the guns?

Last edited by Argo44; 04/29/21 10:13 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And Steve, re the Reilly W-R action: There are a number of Reilly guns with that action. I did considerable research on them. W-R always managed to slip in a W-R number on actions he made for the trade. These are not found on the Reilly W-R actions. Thus I speculate that Reilly made them under license. See the Reilly line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
And Steve, re the Reilly W-R action: There are a number of Reilly guns with that action. I did considerable research on them. W-R always managed to slip in a W-R number on actions he made for the trade. These are not found on the Reilly W-R actions. Thus I speculate that Reilly made them under license. See the Reilly line.

Wouldnt W-R have that info in their records if that was the case? Highly doubtful Reilly made those W-R actions. Just sayin. There’s absolutely no proof that Reilly had any capabilities available to them to produce their own actions in that era.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would agree with Dustin that at least the barreled action was likely sourced from WR.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.