March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Sandlapper, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#596674 05/08/21 02:10 AM
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have experience with the reliability and/or difficulty to repair the Boss single trigger?

Thanks

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the pairs I`ve come across didn`t work ,especially on wet days.Usually due to poor re-stocking jobs.Very few people in the trade can fix them now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard they are very reliable. My friend has over the years owned some Boss guns with their single trigger and I never heard him complain. But he is correct, most issues come from poor restocking. There is a local gunsmith here in N.C that has worked on some and did very well.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Intricate. Most of the issues with a Boss single trigger are caused by people dickin’ with em that have no business messing with them. The extremely delicate gold wire spring in the turret can easily be broken if put together wrong or if it’s wound too tight. Only a very select couple of guys here in the states that I’d recommend for a Boss single repair or adjustment.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boss single triggers are very reliable ,when working . As said a lot of problems can arise through people who dont understand them trying to put them right .One point about them on older guns is that the stock has to be in good condition even the slightest movement can cause trouble .

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be aware that there we several changes made to the Boss single trigger turret mechanism until he perfected it. Some of these single trigger from the first 4-5 years of introduction had problems that John Robertson found and he corrected them in the later design. A good description of these issues are in Donald Dallas' Boss book that you may want to read about.

Gunman;

What has been yours and other gunmakers/gunsmiths experience with the early Boss single triggers there in the UK?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

On another note about single triggers in general, Vic Venters described in his book about how Westley Richards used the infamous (in America) Hunter One single trigger until about 1909 when Westley Richards developed their own single trigger design. Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. single trigger double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.

Last edited by bushveld; 05/08/21 12:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.

Wow. Who'd a thunk, after all the grief aimed at the Hunter One Single Trigger all these years...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/08/21 12:13 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Weren’t there two versions of the HOT, a selective and earlier, non selective version? Which version did WR use, and, if it was so good, why did they come up with their own, and discontinue using the HOT?

Be good to know which version is being praised, because, FOR SURE, one version shouldn’t be.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Be aware that there we several changes made to the Boss single trigger turret mechanism until he perfected it. Some of these single trigger from the first 4-5 years of introduction had problems that John Robertson found and he corrected them in the later design. A good description of these issues are in Donald Dallas' Boss book that you may want to read about.

Gunman;

What has been yours and other gunmakers/gunsmiths experience with the early Boss single triggers there in the UK?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

On another note about single triggers in general, Vic Venters described in his book about how Westley Richards used the infamous (in America) Hunter One single trigger until about 1909 when Westley Richards developed their own single trigger design. Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. single trigger double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.
x
To be honest I never really bothered with the age or what mark a job was , I just treated each on its merits ,looked at the problem and did my best to overcome it . Some you could some you could not especially on worn or restocked guns .Single triggers of theis type were made the gun stocked and then the trigger was set up and regulated when locks and trigger plates were in their correct position .

Sidelock
Sidelock

While we are on the subject, I just purchased a 1907 J. Lang & Son Best Quality with their single trigger. I have heard good things about the Lang single trigger, any comments?

Mike Proctor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.