March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#596857 05/13/21 10:42 AM
FredC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/...omas_industry_update&tinid=221559707
Just thought some might find this new material interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Synthetic Ivory was used in the late 1800's when the demand for ivory billiard balls was putting excessive pressure on elephant herds. Ever since then, there have been cheaper substitutes for real ivory. The big advantage to using 3-D printing to make plastic grips will be the cost savings from not having to make an expensive injection mold for very small production runs.

The real thing will likely always be more desirable, and poachers will continue to get big bucks for real ivory on the black market.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fairly new (to me anyway) artificial resin ivory is very nice to work with and has the look and feel that is so very close to that of the real thing . Called Resin-Ivory+S it is not at all expensive to buy in block or sheet form. Knife maker supply places usually have it.
Maybe it's sold under other names I'm not familiar with.

The real stuff will always be just that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some places where artificial ivory just won't get it done ............IMO

Like an 1830s style coffin handled bowie.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Now that's just absolutely beautiful. Your work? I have a couple of BBQ 1872 open tops with ivory grips and some single actions with synthetic grips. You can feel the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, not my work. I designed the knife and made the pattern, but my dear friend who made knives for rendezvousers, and who hunted my land for deer, wanted to make me the knife I would want to have if money were no object. That is my "dream" knife. Genuine elephant ivory. And, every steel part of the knife is 320 layer damascus. The scale rivets are brass.

Not sure that comment was addressed to me, but if it was thanks for the positive comments, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, that is one very cool knife! Can you have legal elephant Ivory nowadays or is that documented old ivory? I'm just asking because I don't know the answer to that...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know the answer to either question, Geo. I've had the knife about 20 years, and don't know how old the ivory was before that. Heck, I don't even know the regulations about owning it.

Just found this:

On July 6, 2016, a near-total ban on commercial trade in African elephant ivory went into effect in the United States. The information on this webpage is intended to provide guidance for those who wish to buy, sell, or otherwise trade in elephant ivory. It’s important to note that the new regulations do not restrict personal possession of ivory. If you already own ivory – an heirloom carving that’s been passed down in your family, or a vintage musical instrument with ivory components, those pieces are yours. We know those items created long ago aren’t threatening today’s wild elephants.

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 06/30/21 05:31 PM. Reason: additional info

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew about the ban in ivory trade; I just couldn't remember when it went into effect. I think the information you posted answers my question. Something you needed to be aware of anyway. Don't take it to Canada with you if you go hunting up there. Thanks...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last I heard the African Elephant is not on the endangered list.

Elephant ivory brought into this country after the mid 1980s has been illegal to sell in any form or fashion for a very long time.

Sale and importation of Ivory has been documented for years and years....myself I don't think there ever was a lot of illegal ivory smuggled into this country.
We have alot of people that went to Africa hunting and killed lots of game including lots of Elephants I know of lots of people around Memphis that killed more than their share.

You have to be a hunter to realize this ivory is a trophy....you dont have to like it but Elephants weren't endangered by hunters.

All Obama's law did was punish the people thats ancestors went over to Africa hunting years ago by blocking the sale of the trophy ivory after the hunters death.

In most states raw legal pre mid 1980s ivory is legal to sell with in state lines if you have documentation.

They're are exceptions to this. In most liberal states...Yankee states up the east coast and Yuppie states up the west coast and most pot head states like Colorado....some even went so far as making of 10,000 year old Mammorh ivory illegal to buy or sell.

I'm in Tennessee say I had a Colt with pre 1980s ivory grips and I wanted to sell it on Gunbroker I could legally sell it to a guy Georgia but not to New York...take the grips off the gun and you can not sell the grips alone across state lines.

There's a twist in the law that gives a percentage. I believe it can't be over 50 % of the product or 50 % of the value of the product. Main trouble with using ivory to make things is you can not buy or sell it in raw form across state lines

Unless you're unfortunate enough to live in one of the Commie states....then the restrictions are greater.

I must say Sanford I would've went for a few more brass pins in that butt ugly coffin handle. That knife was a waste of good ivory....shewww.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.