March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jason Dubois, gunmaker, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 329 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, you guys know guns better than I do. But here's my feeling on pistol vs. Bear. Nothing you can carry and fire by hand, except maybe a cut down M-79, is going to stop a Brown Bear, Polar Bear, or Grizzly simply by the lbs ft shock of the bullet itself. It would have to be well placed to have a chance of salvation. Some of you all are extremely well-trained and disciplined. But most people simply don't practice enough with their pistols. (which includes drawing from a holster and shooting).

So, why not carry something with which you can run off 10 shots in a second, combined with the above mentioned Alaskan made 147 grain penetrator round?

Ky that was a damned good shot under extreme pressure. Could you do it with a pistol under same pressure? - I'd take the 10 controllable rounds and do some research on where to place them. This is just me and knowing son and his interests.

He's here this weekend...think we'll go out and shoot my Glocks... haven't done that for awhile but I'm good - been through 8 qualifications and re-quals - maybe 500 rounds in each, drawing, shooting, tap-rack, clear malfunction, reload, get out of cars, shoot behind barriers, target identification under pressure, etc. so. yeah I'm good, right?..(oh wait, last time I drew and fired practicing a combat situation was...what? omg it was 4 years ago!!)

Last edited by Argo44; 05/20/21 11:28 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
I've always heard in bear country it's better to be with at least one other person. In that situation, big bore isn't required in a handgun. .22, .25 or .32 are sufficient. As the two of you flee from the bear, shoot friend in knee to slow him down.

Joke, but a Damn poor joke IMO

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Originally Posted by Argo44
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Allen Minish was alone and surveying land for a real estate agent in a wooded, remote part of Alaska, putting some numbers into his GPS unit when he looked up and saw a large brown bear walking about 30 feet away.

The Poacher's gun folds up well & will fit in a backpack. Currently the Turks offer one in 0.410.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Both the Turkish Yildiz TK36 (.410) and TK 12 (12 ga.) are offered by Academy. They are lightweight (alloy actions) "knock-offs" of the old Beretta M412 folding series of single-shots. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DmColonial
Originally Posted by GLS
I've always heard in bear country it's better to be with at least one other person. In that situation, big bore isn't required in a handgun. .22, .25 or .32 are sufficient. As the two of you flee from the bear, shoot friend in knee to slow him down.

Who said I was joking?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DmColonial
Originally Posted by GLS

Damn poor sense of humour, IMO

Come on, buddy. Lighten up. By any metric, it’s a good joke. Classic structure, good delivery, on topic. The one problem with it is Gil tells it all the time.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Both the Turkish Yildiz TK36 (.410) and TK 12 (12 ga.) are offered by Academy. They are lightweight (alloy actions) "knock-offs" of the old Beretta M412 folding series of single-shots

The one to which I was referring is an odd Belgian platform hammer double. I'll go by the gunshop and see what the modell might be.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-poacher-s-companion

Here is the platform, top longarm.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil and I hunt woodcock in wild hog territory. Bumping into them in the thick cane and stuff is a distinct possibility. They're there. I don't worry about Gil's plan. My legs are longer ............and I plan to leave him in the dust.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: GLS, 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to see you mentioned USMC Legend (among many) Col. Cooper- and his Gunsite academy in AZ-- one of Jeff's many fine instructors was also a believer in Jeff's theory about the handgun getting you to a shotgun-loaded with 00buckshot. My carry handgun is my Colt Combat Commander, from Armand Swensen's CA shop-and like you, I carry it (Yaqui slide holster) Cond 1-- but I also agree with your choice of the S&W 19 with .38 PSP rounds-- simple, 100% reliable even under combat stress, and no stress on springs, as with the 1911-A-1 and the Browning High-Power (my choice in a 9mm, followed by the Walther P-38. I have never been in Alaska-but for my defense shotgun, either my M25 guard and riot gun-20" cyl. bore barrel- or my Browning A-5 Belgian with the 24" open bored slug barrel-both with 00 buck- and NO Sling-just as in Africa- it could hang up in the brush in a high stress scenario-- Be Prepared and Use Enough Gun..
RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Gil and I hunt woodcock in wild hog territory. Bumping into them in the thick cane and stuff is a distinct possibility. They're there. I don't worry about Gil's plan. My legs are longer ............and I plan to leave him in the dust.
I think GLS left out an important detail, make sure your buddy is faster than you, so you can get a clear shot grin

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.