April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, SKB), 811 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Originally Posted by DmColonial
Originally Posted by GLS
I've always heard in bear country it's better to be with at least one other person. In that situation, big bore isn't required in a handgun. .22, .25 or .32 are sufficient. As the two of you flee from the bear, shoot friend in knee to slow him down.

Joke, but a Damn poor joke IMO
Who said I was joking?

LOL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael Fasbender- great job in his role as a German speaking British OSS operative- but learning another language and becoming fluent is not 100% the same as knowing the customs and habits- asmshown when he raised his right hand to signal Emil- the inn keeper, to bring "drei glazzer" 3 glasses- for the 30 year old Scotch the Gestapo Major had ordered for them. Dead give-away indeed. Great movie, as are all of Quentin's productions--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-poacher-s-companion

Here is the platform, top longarm.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Thanks. Interesting article. Neat little guns, especially the skeleton stock. The Yildiz is hammerless btw as is the Beretta 412. A couple of years ago I was biking out of the swamp with a turkey and my folder .410 and ran into two younger guys deep in the swamp that had walked in with automatics. They noted my gun and I later learned they had bought Yildiz .410s and had theirs similarly modified like mine. The finished guns weigh 3.25 lbs. One of the men was a former professional hunter in Tanzania. I ran into him this year while hunting turkeys and he said he had killed several birds with his .410. He wades out to the higher ground hammocks in waist deep water though the swamp in a bathing suit with his folder in a back pack with his bugtamer ghillie suit and once on the higher ground, puts on the bugtamer suit over his bathing suit while dripping wet. He hunts wearing Crocs. Not me, Kemo Sabe. Stan, we'll do our best to avoid those razorbacks. Wear those track shoes.
Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a method that works on a knife attack, but may have shortcomings with a bear:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Here's a method that works on a knife attack, but may have shortcomings with a bear:

Might work. Just have Ted test it first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44, that was a dumb asssss, lucky shot, not any expression of my skill. I had nightmares longer than you could imagine. Worse my wife had warned me I was going out into bear country and better be careful. I wasn’t and my wife gave me hell about it. My shot was desperation, a Hail Mary. It was perfect, in-spite of my lack of preparation.

When I was planning a Africa trip, which never happened, I shot a ton of .375 and .458 trying to get ready for any emergency. A charging bear is the North American version of charging big cat or buff. No bullet is too big, if well placed and none are big enough if poorly placed. But you got to shoot to have any chance and a 9mm should give you a lot of chances on a short time. Get him the gun, get him to practice a bit and make sure he keeps it on his person. Just like a rifle in the truck was not where it was needed, a pistol in a backpack will be impossible to quickly access. Get him a comfortable carry holster and have him wear it all the time. Hope he never needs it but am glad you are thinking about plan b for him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the link to the 9mm ammo had an interesting story, but the guide that dispatched the small grizzly with the compact pistol was a really calm, accurate shot. I don’t think many handguns can transfer shock like a high power rifle round, so the thinking might be deep penetration.

I still remember watching some outdoor show where the host stumble and shot his African PH with a .458 solid. It supposedly passed through and through, and the guide was able to walk out and get to a hospital, but anyway, deep penetration might somewhat hope for good placement. Let your boy loose, emptying the magazine as quickly as possible, I don’t know, it may look more like fun than putting energy into a smaller target.

I think it’s a good thing that you folks are going to practice, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have confidence that his pistol will feed that type of ammo, and being comfortable with one in the chamber. I think the most striking thing to me about the original story was the cell phone call for help. Your son probably has more dead spots than reception. Have fun at the range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and that's why the senior NCO's run the unit--100%.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago I shot a Fallow doe with a .33 Winchester. I was crouching down finishing the gralloch ( she was too heavy for me to hoist into a tree) when a large black animal snuck up beside me and started chomping on the innards.

It gave me quite a fright until I remembered we don’t have bears in England, and realised it was my friend’s dog.

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
I think the link to the 9mm ammo had an interesting story, but the guide that dispatched the small grizzly with the compact pistol was a really calm, accurate shot. I don’t think many handguns can transfer shock like a high power rifle round, so the thinking might be deep penetration.

I still remember watching some outdoor show where the host stumble and shot his African PH with a .458 solid. It supposedly passed through and through, and the guide was able to walk out and get to a hospital, but anyway, deep penetration might somewhat hope for good placement. Let your boy loose, emptying the magazine as quickly as possible, I don’t know, it may look more like fun than putting energy into a smaller target.

I think it’s a good thing that you folks are going to practice, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have confidence that his pistol will feed that type of ammo, and being comfortable with one in the chamber. I think the most striking thing to me about the original story was the cell phone call for help. Your son probably has more dead spots than reception. Have fun at the range.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.