March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 888 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pardon my ignorance, but why the horrors with the bolt? Admittedly, all bolt guns look pretty much the same to me, but what makes a proper bolt handle vs not?

It is all aethetics or does form still follow function in priorities?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary Duffey
It is always a sort of crossroad on rifles like this and I really like these armory stocked rifles. That said I will just play "if it were mine." The K Hornet chamber is the biggest issue of all for me, so without that sleeved or rebarelled I would do a plan B overhaul. I would tap and plug front ring, re-install G&H mount (7/8") and I would want to reconfigure bolt and stock cut. I would clean up butplate do my best on wood at butt and have fun with it. Oh..... And nothing wrong with K hornet I just don't want one. I think mine is about a $500.00 project. Nice rifle and I like it!

I like your plan B Gary. Mount an Alaskan or Zielklien low enough that it would require the bolt to be modified. Then just reshape the handle and checker the knob. The bolt handle cut in the stock goes lower than the Lyman 48 cut so it would be hard to hide. See how it shoots, and if it does not shoot then we can sleeve the barrel and take it back to straight Hornet.

John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Pardon my ignorance, but why the horrors with the bolt? Admittedly, all bolt guns look pretty much the same to me, but what makes a proper bolt handle vs not?

It is all aethetics or does form still follow function in priorities?

Just aesthetics and originality. When the rifle left G&H, it most likely had a G&H side mount with likely a Zielklien mounted hi enough that the original bolt was not modified. At least that is the way most of these are found. Many will also have target blocks on the receiver ring and barrel for an external adjustment scope. Unfortunately the ring on this one was drilled for the incorrect spacing.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could have Steve Earl make a set of blocks to fit those holes and return to the external adjust scope.

It is a nice rifle from what I can see.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought it was about time to give an update on this project. After sitting on it for a couple years, I decided that the only thing of real value on the rifle was the converted action and magazine. So I decided to take the action and pretty much start over. I really like these old 1922 Hornets, but they usually still have the original armory barrel which makes them quite heavy for a walking varmint rifle which to me is what the Hornet is best suited. With that in mind I turned a light sporter contour barrel and threaded it for the 1922 action. I then took the action, barrel, a stock blank, and sent it all to Duane Weibe and told him to make a rifle out of it. I wanted something in the style of the pre-war rifles, but did not want him to deviate to far from his typical style. Duane stocks in the classic style so he just closed up the grip slightly and made the forend just slightly longer than what he typically would on his big game rifles. I am still waiting on the rifle, but we do have some progress pictures so I thought I'd share those here.

Due to all the various bore diameters and twists used on Hornets over the years, I decided to have the Engraver put the groove diameter and twist rate above the wood line opposite the caliber markings.

The scope I will be using is a short receiver mounted external adjustment Fecker small game scope in case anyone was wondering about the scope base on the bridge. The trap buttplate has a cavity to hold the lens caps while you are shooting so they do not get lost.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that is my concept of class. Very nice!

I always wanted to do something similar w/ @ MI or MII Springfield but in .22 LR. Unfortunately someone always offered me more than I could resist for the donor action(s) before I got the project started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the update, I look forward to more in the future.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My M1 updated to M2, serial number 251, is a classic stocked in English Walnut beauty built probably in the forties by "Gibson, Fairfax, VA.", probably a stockmaker employed by Parker-Whelen in Washington, D.C. The gun has a Townsend Whelen flavor to it and shoots into one hole at 50 yards with Wolf Match ammunition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m looking forward to hearing how this rifle shoots. What a great project John.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was this ever finished?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.