March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear it Lloyd. He’s an interesting guy and you can’t argue with his results. Now 87 years old and still skiing black diamond runs.

Last edited by Goillini; 05/30/21 08:02 PM.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent about 40 days this winter and spring working on a bird habitat project, clearing brush and trees. 4 hours a day, chain saw in hand the whole time, making sure the 20 yo helping me knew he wasn’t going to outwork me. I’m 62.

I retired from my career 5 years ago. After over 30 years I’d had enough of airports, hotels, restaurants and my partners. But it sure wasn’t time to sit around. I’ve been more physically active in the last 5 years than in the previous 30. Hard physical labour, skiing when Covid isn’t getting in the way, picking up tennis again after a 30 year hiatus. Recovery takes longer.....I’m not as strong as I was in my 20’s......clearly I’ve aged. But the way to stave off the years is to keep the body moving.

Also, hang out with people substantially younger! They don’t want to hear about your aches and pains......they want to go do something. Doesn’t matter if it’s kids, grandkids or friends. It helps keep the mind young.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

This. Amen, Cvb.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Also, hang out with people substantially younger! They don’t want to hear about your aches and pains......they want to go do something. Doesn’t matter if it’s kids, grandkids or friends. It helps keep the mind young.

Hear, hear!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100% CB

Nothing the government gives you is free.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunt as long as its fun. For me its about the dogs. If I kill a bird its for them anyway. I was never into the kill a pile of birds and take the pics and flash them around. If I didn't have dogs I wouldn't hunt except perhaps sitting on a haybale and pass shooting doves. That doesn't count turkey hunting. I'll do that as long as the lord allows it. PS. I have a friend in his mid 70's who has Parkinson's. He should hang it up. Hard to walk and hard to shoot isn't a safe combination. However he has two excellent bird dogs and his wife does the handling and he does the shooting. All preserve birds at this point, but he lives to watch a pair of dogs work birds.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
B&B

Bourbon and Burley.

Cornell & Diehl Dark (Kentucky) Burley in a cob, Jim Beam, up.

Can feel my blood pressure dropping.

Thank God for Kentucky.

thanks for posting that....i've had that song on my mind lately....buried my second wife on april 3rd...

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

- If one has an extensive collection of firearms, I think it is worthwhile to begin reducing the collection (via sales or gifts) after celebrating one's 65th birthday. Don't leave your spouse and/or friends with the responsibility of liquidating the armory. Keep the few that you regularly shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At age 68, and upon my wife's request, I've begun liquidating what was a fairly large accumulation (not organized enough or focused in a fashion that would justify calling it a collection) of shotguns, rifles and handguns. None of my children have any interest and the grandchildren are too young and, given their parents' lack of interest, unlikely to have any interest. I'm hanging on to the ones I really like (mostly hammer shotguns and .22 rifles), a couple that were my father's and might end up with one of my brother's grandkids, my deer rifle and a spare, and some that I hope to use more regularly when I finally retire. I still have a long way to go to get down to the handful I'd want to keep to the end, but I'm about halfway there. I haven't really worked hard on selling handguns, but given my eyesight, any thoughts of heavy handgun use without some sort of red dot sight or a special lens for my glasses is pretty unlikely.

I have far more ammo for .22s, handguns and centerfire rifles than I ever realized until the pandemic. I'm going to have to work hard at shooting it all up over the next several years. But I'm sure going to try.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope and pray that this is not taken in some other way than how I intend it. And it is not intended to be critical of anyone in particular. But, if you decide it's time to start getting rid of stuff because of your age, you have decided "I'm going to be gone soon, and I'd rather dispose of it my way". That's a recipe for disaster, IMO. You may well rid yourself, successfully, of all the guns you have dearly loved for many years, and saved those who succeed you from the effort to do so, but you may have also imprinted into your mind the idea that you're not going to be here much longer. And, that's a good prerequisite for checking out.

My mantra is that I am going to use all that stuff next season, next month, next week, tomorrow. And, do it. I learned some time ago the importance of thinking positive thoughts, and denying negative ones that creep in. Really competitive people, in all forms of sports (and shooting), understand the importance of thinking positive thoughts, programming your mind to believe what you will achieve. The mind accepts what you tell it. The problem comes when you tell it negative things. Like, "I'm 69 now, that's nearly 70, and Lord knows how many of my classmates never made 70. I'd better get my things in order because I may not be here much longer." Damn that!! I will NOT think that way.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: azgreg
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.