March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 #597879 06/07/21 02:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Wreath laying ceremony at the WWII Memorial on the Washington DC Mall, 06 Jun 2021, commemorating the sacrifices made by the troops in that great endeavor in Europe. This wreath was laid by the 82nd Airborne Association, and for this go-round remembered my father:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Impressive. Must've been a touching moment for you.

Speaking of impressive, whenever I think of the 82d, I remember the simple urn of earth in their museum at Ft Bragg. Sent by the residents of Ste Mere Eglise--free soil from the first town to be liberated that day.

mc #597887 06/07/21 04:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was inducted into Army December 15, 1965, I had been told by some of my father's friends that he was a POV during WWII. He never spoke about any of it and I never questioned him but on the day I was inducted he drove me to the induction center and on the way he told me that 24 months wasn't so bad as he was held captive for 28 months in Germany. One of his guards spoke English very well as he was a student in Chicago, he told my dad that if he had known about the war he would have never left the U.S.A. My dad also told me his whole company was captured in Africa. God Bless them all.

It is typical that our illustrious leader would not publicly acknowledge June 6. POS

David

mc #597891 06/07/21 06:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That had to be one helluva place to realize you were in.
Back then,my dads neighbor lost his son on one of those beaches.
the army actually sent a picture of him ,where fallen,as he lay,to the parents.
I dont know if that was commonplace back then,or the story was BS.

mc #597909 06/08/21 12:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My uncle Frank was a torpedo man on DD619 the Edwards, a destroyer. At the end of the war they where given a cruise book, something like a high school year book. My father read it and said that it was like reading a fiction story. The ship was blessed by not losing one man the entire war. He gave that book to someone lost to time. I wish I had it! Uncle Frank was a happy go lucky guy and also didn't talk about the war. I tried to get some stories out of him but all I got was "Yea I was there". The ship certainly saw a lot of action and received 13 battle stars. A jap plane dropped a torpedo meant for them and as it got close to the ship a wave broke and lifted the torpedo so that it came out of the water went OVER the bow and kept on going. They almost bought it that time. A kamikazi attacked them and the wing hit the radar antenna, broke the wing off leaving it hanging on the antenna. The rest of the plane dropped harmlessly into the ocean. He did tell me that he was lucky to have a dry bunk and good meals and felt bad for the marines that they where supporting during their landings knowing they where sleeping in the mud and eating K rations. I said to him that was true but they where losing people on land as individuals and that could add up to quite a few casualties. When they take a ship out you lose hundreds at one time. They had it rough. The bomber crews, submarine crews, infantry and Marines, and all the rest. If they didn't lose life or limb they all lost their youth with some years of their life stolen from them. God bless them all!

mc #597911 06/08/21 03:54 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the chance to visit the Normandy beaches in 2018 it was all very moving. I have lived in Germany now for 19 years and my neighbours father who passed a few years ago at 93 was a medic at Stalingrad and he was on one of the last flights out as he had been wounded, the stories are the same on both sides.
The leaders play their games and the little man always pays the bill bless em all.

mc #597922 06/08/21 09:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is right that we remember June 6th, 1944 and the sacrifices made there by Americans, British, Canadians and numerous other Allied countries.

However there were other theaters of war that deserve to be remembered as well:

Italy, where Americans (of all colors), British, New Zealanders, Indians, Nepalese, Poles and other Allies fought against determined German resistance as the Allies moved north.

The Chinese, Burma, India (CBI) theater, where British, Indians, Nepalese and Americans fought against the Japanese in the jungles of Burma, while the Chinese also fought against the Japanese in China and Northern Burma. The sacrifices made in the CBI tied up Japanese troops that could have been used against the US Marines, the US Army and the Australians in the Pacific & Southwest Pacific campaigns, two more theaters of war.

My grandfather served in the 97th Infantry Division which was supposed to be the invasion reserve division for Operation Olympic. After the Battle of the Bulge, SHAEF realized that the Germans had more fight in them then SHAEF had thought and the 97th Division (and I presume other US Divisions) was sent to fight in Germany, primarily with Third Army. My Grandfather rarely discussed his service with my father and he passed before I was born. Based on what little he told my Father and my own research, it is likely that my Grandfather either participated in the liberation of a concentration camp or saw the survivors of a camp. My Grandfather did mention killing a SS officer dressed as a priest, something that greatly bothered him.

Last edited by Chantry; 06/08/21 09:23 AM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
mc #597927 06/08/21 09:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bomber air crews faced bad times as well. Some missions had 25-50% losses. Mathematically losses were so high a crew could not fly enough missions to rotate out of combat. Chance and luck did get a few crews through. It must have been hell packing belongings up for buddies who just never returned, shot down, killed, wounded or just missing in action.

Had a shooting buddy who was cursed being small of statue. He ended up in the ball turret, as a gunner. One mission it got so damaged and he could not get out of it when the were forced to land. The right side landing gear had taken damage as well. His fear was it would collapse when landing and the turret would get crushed with him in it. It didn’t but he always said he wished he was six inches taller. They would not have put him in it then. War might seem cool when you are ten but when you hear what some of those guys went through cool is not what I’d call it. My father called it weeks of boredom followed by minutes to hours of intense action was his word. Guess it covered everything from stress to outright terror. God bless the all.

mc #597941 06/08/21 12:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good site re: 8th Air Force...

https://www.100thbg.com/

Dad had a cousin who was lost in the 350th squadron. Grandma lost a brother, also over Germany.

Few families were not affected in some way.

My wife's father who was a German immigrant circa early 30's lost his ENTIRE family (perhaps 2 dozen individuals) when the Russians overran Breslau.

Hard to imagine.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
mc #597944 06/08/21 03:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest you read the dairy from Carborn on the 100thbg. Very moving.

mc #597947 06/08/21 04:34 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone has the opportunity to travel on I95 through Georgia, the third exit going south from SC, 102, will take you to the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum which is visible from I95. It is well worth the visit. The Mighty 8th was founded in Savannah, Georgia. It has remarkable exhibits from numerous BG's. Gil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.