March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by gold40
I am surprised that we are not seeing imported shot shells from Europe and Latin America in large quantities. Does anyone know why this is not happening?

Like i and Skb have written; there are cargo ships at anchor that can’t unload for lack of dock workers.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

On a 2-day round trip to Iowa and back, I scored 16 boxes of Herter's 20ga target loads (7/8 oz 7 1/2) at 2 different Cabela's. Stopped at the Owatonna MN store on the way down. Sign said limit of 8 boxes per customer, but the Herters were by the flat, so I got 10 boxes. Hit the Prairie du Chien store on the way home. They had 6 more boxes of the same 20ga loads. Basically $7.50/box, which is OK given today's prices. Better yet, I had almost enough points on my Cabela's credit card that I didn't have to cough up any additional $ for them.

Also hit Monsoor's in La Crosse on the way home. They're on a slow but steady closing out sale, only open Mon-Weds. I didn't see any 16ga wads, so I asked. They came up with a full box of them. I just took 2 bags. Already had some, and I'd picked up almost 3 bags of the Down Range DR-16 wads (which I prefer to reload in the old Herters 1 oz 16's Cabela's used to sell). Productive trip for both ammo and components.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Originally Posted by gold40
I am surprised that we are not seeing imported shot shells from Europe and Latin America in large quantities. Does anyone know why this is not happening?

Like i and Skb have written; there are cargo ships at anchor that can’t unload for lack of dock workers.

Dock workers? Shotshell shipping is done now in containers, by container ships. One overhead crane operator unloads the containers off the ship. Then another loads the container onto a trailer behind a semi which hits the road immediately. Savannah is one of the two biggest container ports in the USA. I was on 1-16 today and saw no shortage of loaded containers headed west, and an equal amount of empties headed east towards Savannah. I must be missing something here, but I fail to see how "dock worker" shortage is hurting the supply of imported shot shells. I have a really good friend that operates one of the huge overhead container cranes in Savannah. With his pay grade he is certainly not enticed to "lay out" and draw unemployment. He wants to work, a much as he can.

There are a bunch of people here a lot smarter than me. Maybe someone can help me understand this.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was Just in savannah, and yes, the port is going around the clock with huge truck traffic in and out.
That apparently isn’t the case everywhere.
I talked to a retailer and range operator who is in contact with multiple foreign suppliers, and the retailer has heard the same story about ships waiting to be unloaded from all of them.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
I was Just in savannah, and yes, the port is going around the clock with huge truck traffic in and out.
That apparently isn’t the case everywhere.
I talked to a retailer and range operator who is in contact with multiple foreign suppliers, and the retailer has heard the same story about ships waiting to be unloaded from all of them.

The labor shortages are on the left coast. Erh from San Diego up through Long Beach and North. For Asian products and demand. From Europe they land on the East Coast. But from the source they are in short supply. COVID is a world wide problem. It isn't just the US.

Have done harbor protection on all of them. Both Coasts. Just my opinion but think- the source and distribution.

John at Pacific Firearms' has had a 32" 16 ga. with grade IV wood for me on order for more than a year. I Crush targets with my 12 GA. Plantation Sporting and ISIS recoil reducer. But crush them with 7/8 oz. 20 ga. loads too. Give me a 6 bird handicap with the 20 on a 88 bird course don't ask me twice LOL.

We are not the only ones suffering with COVID and disturbition. Around the World. But it is getting better. Left coast delivery is from Asia and China where the demand is. And has been for a long time. East coast and EU reop is better. Much better. But there are internal restrictions that slow down distribution also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
On a 2-day round trip to Iowa and back, I scored 16 boxes of Herter's 20ga target loads (7/8 oz 7 1/2) at 2 different Cabela's. Stopped at the Owatonna MN store on the way down. Sign said limit of 8 boxes per customer, but the Herters were by the flat, so I got 10 boxes. Hit the Prairie du Chien store on the way home. They had 6 more boxes of the same 20ga loads. Basically $7.50/box, which is OK given today's prices. Better yet, I had almost enough points on my Cabela's credit card that I didn't have to cough up any additional $ for them.

Also hit Monsoor's in La Crosse on the way home. They're on a slow but steady closing out sale, only open Mon-Weds. I didn't see any 16ga wads, so I asked. They came up with a full box of them. I just took 2 bags. Already had some, and I'd picked up almost 3 bags of the Down Range DR-16 wads (which I prefer to reload in the old Herters 1 oz 16's Cabela's used to sell). Productive trip for both ammo and components.

I have known Roger for a long time. Trap shooters are a fickle bunch. Talk about sniffing paper hulls but before Roger cut down on hours he ordered a lot of Federal Papers due to what the trap shooters said. Could not give the damn things away at his cost which was close to $100 a flat.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Used to shoot against Wi. in the Blizzard league before the cold hurt my bones. Roger was one of first to bring the Blazer into the US back then. After we shot for our respective States I squadded with Roger and several other AA shooters. Hardly have time to reload before it is your time to shoot, Trap is such a brain dead sport.

Realized we were going to hit 500 when my brain woke up. Roger was to my right and I missed. Because I thought and wasn't brain dead.

He missed and so did the next 3 to fill out. He turned to me and said you son of a beach LOL.

Army used to allow a 600 SAT score as ROTC entrance requirements. Navy not so much.

First met you at a Flatwater shoot. Many for some reason mistook me for you and I smoke cigars, you a pipe. Was kind of honored and also pissed that most mixed us up...

Real world chit - out of Pope AF base I can fill you in from the "compound" activities at Delta Force. If you have clearance. Well been long enough now in theory I could anyhow.

Your first SxS was in Rota Spain. You were lucky to be there considering you were a green weenie. And sometimes your justifications are so far out in Left field it makes me shake my head. But I think your heart is in the right place. Even if your logic is not. You are on the right track most times but your emotions get in the way of logic often, well used to. Not so much lately.

Back in the day if you were good with English and grammar you were considered light in the loafers. Just saying. There are some that actually contribute to the scientific principle.

Want to talk about getting Wet? No can't do it. But even though I retired 25 years ago think about it almost every night as I try to go to sleep. Not so much the scientific principle but what came out of Pope AF base at the compound. Among other places.

Not to knock on you Larry actually we agree on many things, likely most things. I was active the whole time, and it does make a difference.

Then again you smoke pipe as you pull out of shoots, you don't hang around long, and don't smoke a Cigar. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

First met you at a Flatwater shoot. Many for some reason mistook me for you and I smoke cigars, you a pipe. Was kind of honored and also pissed that most mixed us up...

Real world chit - out of Pope AF base I can fill you in from the "compound" activities at Delta Force. If you have clearance. Well been long enough now in theory I could anyhow.

Your first SxS was in Rota Spain. You were lucky to be there considering you were a green weenie. And sometimes your justifications are so far out in Left field it makes me shake my head. But I think your heart is in the right place. Even if your logic is not. You are on the right track most times but your emotions get in the way of logic often, well used to. Not so much lately.

Back in the day if you were good with English and grammar you were considered light in the loafers. Just saying. There are some that actually contribute to the scientific principle.

Want to talk about getting Wet? No can't do it. But even though I retired 25 years ago think about it almost every night as I try to go to sleep. Not so much the scientific principle but what came out of Pope AF base at the compound. Among other places.

Not to knock on you Larry actually we agree on many things, likely most things. I was active the whole time, and it does make a difference.

Then again you smoke pipe as you pull out of shoots, you don't hang around long, and don't smoke a Cigar. :-)[/quote]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Entirely possible we met at Flatwater, but you're mixing up some details. I've never smoked a pipe. I used to travel to Flatwater with another Larry who did (Navy vet, although he didn't stick around for 20), and I think he was smoking a pipe back then. But it's been a long time, so not surprised everything isn't crystal clear. It isn't for me either.

You're correct about my first sxs . . . Ithaca SKB 150 12ga. The reason I was in Rota, however, had nothing to do with the service. (At least not the uniformed service.) I'd completed my initial obligation with the National Guard when the CIA hired me. I was working out of the embassy in Morocco when I flew up to Rota, expressly to buy a shotgun. Our Air Force guys flew up to both Rota and Torrejon fairly frequently. Hopped their C-47 reconfigured into more of a VIP aircraft (although I was certainly no VIP.)

Much of my "logic" about the Muslim world comes from my time in Morocco. All of us old CIA hands chuckled when Obama's CIA Director, John Brennan, said we didn't steal secrets. But in fact, we didn't. Most of the time, we hired locals who had access and were willing to cooperate with us. We couldn't have done our jobs without them. Sort of like the Afghan "terps", who served with our military there. Their knowledge of the language(s) and the culture saved a lot of lives. Muslim terrorists? Kill them all. But the fact remains, most of them are being killed by our boots on the ground Muslim allies, whether they're Afghans or Arabs or Kurds. If we're going to continue fighting those wars--and better we fight them there rather than waiting for them to bring it here (like 9/11)--we can get by with relatively small numbers of American troops (mostly Special Operations types, supported by air power) as long as we're working with friendly locals. That's how my logic works, in a nutshell.

Got back in the Guard and then the Army Reserve post-CIA. I'd initially been Infantry, but it made a helluva lot more sense for me to stick around once I found a Military Intelligence unit. They even saw fit to wave a magic wand, instantly turning a SSG into a CPT. Worked for me. After that, I stuck around in the Army Reserve, ultimately retiring about the same time you did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put down Rota, Edzel, Scotland and 1st Radio Bn Hawaii on my dream sheet out of A school. Fuhks sent me to Adak.
I pissed off a lot of people in Pensacola. Joke was on them ‘cause I had a blast in Adak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This forum is primarily devoted to vintage guns. I shoot vintage guns almost exclusively. I live in Canada where selection for any product is usually quite a bit less than what you are used to in the US. Function of market size. I don’t shoot a lot of clays so I’m not buying volumes for that. But having started shooting vintage about 15 years ago, I got tired of not being able to find what I wanted. Long winded preamble to say that as a hunter of upland, I have enough shotshell inventory for the next 15 years in both 12 gage and 16 gauge.

However…….

I’ve just expanded into 20 gauge and 28 gauge. Called up the only legal importer/distributor of RST in Canada this past week. His total supply of RST consisted of 2 boxes of 28 gauge 2 1/2” and 8 boxes of 28 gauge 2 3/4”. Boxes, not flats.

Talked to Kent Gamebore. A little better. Got a flat of Gamebore Pure Gold 2 1/2” in 28 gauge and a flat of Gamebore Regal 20 gauge in 2 1/2”. $25 a box. They told me they have zero stock of any Kent lead product. All gone.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.