March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks- I've fished in Yellowstone Park (Fire Hole) and other MT. waters (Big Horn, etc.) but never the Railroad Ranch. The late Ernest Hemingway fished Silver Creek in ID in the late 1930's- as guest of Averill Harriman at Sun Valley, but never read if he fished the Railroad Ranch sector of the Henry's Fork. Hemingway appreciated good fishing tackle, as he did his good quality firearms- Hardy Brothers seemed to have been his preferred rods, both for fly fishing, and also on his fishing boat, the Pilar. He used Hardy Perfect fly reels, and mainly Vom Hofe Salt Water reels on the Pilar. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
GLS, if my toddler daughter wants a brook trout tattoo when she reaches a suitable age, I may offer to pay for it and get a matching one!

Dan, after a trip Julia wrote this poem:

I cast and drop the line
In fast black flow,
the brook and rainbow yield to sun
and show,
My father gives the sign

And draws the slender curve
to land his fly
where a gold lip of water pools nearby,
and tugs the river’s wild nerve.

Gil

Beautifully written - you are lucky to have a daughter that has such an obvious affinity for the outdoors and incidental pursuits! I hope I am as fortunate. - Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ][/quote
Dan, after a trip Julia wrote this poem:

I cast and drop the line
In fast black flow,
the brook and rainbow yield to sun
and show,
My father gives the sign

And draws the slender curve
to land his fly
where a gold lip of water pools nearby,
and tugs the river’s wild nerve.

Gil

Just WOW !

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
If you appreciate wry, dry humor and a sense of irony, this is your guy. I suspect that John owns a doublegun or two (from past stories he's written) but his focus is clearly on fishing. His affinity for bamboo rods and his articles on the subject (& one whole book, "Fishing Bamboo") got me started down that road long ago now. He's cost me alot of money and time over the years (all well-spent IMHO)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His latest and arguably, his best so-far. His list of books is quite long, so... read at your own risk.

Indeed he does own a doublegun.

In one of his books, and I don’t remember which one, he wrote of pulling his old pickup truck up against the curb in one of those old Colorado towns slowly being converted to yuppiedom. As he stepped onto the sidewalk he was scolded by a ‘not from around here’ young woman about that “awful shotgun in his back window.”

His quick reply was “That’s no ‘shotgun’ lady, that’s a Parker!”

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

DAM16SXS: I vaguely remember that story too, but it's been so-long since I read it I can't remember where (Sex, Death & Flyfishing?). Suffice it to say that amongst other things, he's likely a practitioner of the fine art of shotgunning as well.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/15/21 10:32 AM.
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Based on Cahill’s visit to his study/gun room/man cave I’d say there’s no doubt.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.