March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 2 invisible), 367 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoot Mon, Sir 3 incher. But what you fail to grasp in your diatribe are 2 salient factors: (1) I don't take home game for the table- I spend my off-season time, weather permitting, "pillow casing" barn pigeons and crows with those M12's and Trap loads, bum, belly, beak and bang I believe the mantra goes. Like the late Nash Buckingham espoused in his story "The Dove" "You've had about all the thrills shotgunning can afford when you blot out a high incoming dove and see him crumple up in mid-flight. I don't hunt upland birds anymore, so that is "off the table", as it were, and I am also reminded of words from the late Elmer Keith , who favored an Ithaca NID 10 bore for pheasants, as well as ducks: "You mean it kills them TOO DEAD?""-- We don't have syndicates here in the Colonies, and I have almost 100 farmer friends who give me open access to their posted properties, in exchange for my welding skills on their equipment, when needed. I pay no cash money to anyone to get hunting permission. I leave no litter, no spend shells, whether shotgun or rifle (woodchucks, coyotes, fox, etc. and never tell anyone at the DU banquets where I hunt and shoot, including pest birds in the off seasons. Oh, I dress the ducks and geese and give them to the farmer/land owner. The crows and pigeons go into the manure spreaders (turd hearses, shades of Angus McNab if you will)--I would love to be paired with George Digweed in a blind or hide and have a day of wood pigeon and crow shooting--probably will not happen though! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Hoot Mon, Sir 3 incher. But what you fail to grasp in your diatribe are 2 salient factors: (1) I don't take home game for the table- I spend my off-season time, weather permitting, "pillow casing" barn pigeons and crows with those M12's and Trap loads, bum, belly, beak and bang I believe the mantra goes. Like the late Nash Buckingham espoused in his story "The Dove" "You've had about all the thrills shotgunning can afford when you blot out a high incoming dove and see him crumple up in mid-flight. I don't hunt upland birds anymore, so that is "off the table", as it were, and I am also reminded of words from the late Elmer Keith , who favored an Ithaca NID 10 bore for pheasants, as well as ducks: "You mean it kills them TOO DEAD?""-- We don't have syndicates here in the Colonies, and I have almost 100 farmer friends who give me open access to their posted properties, in exchange for my welding skills on their equipment, when needed. I pay no cash money to anyone to get hunting permission. I leave no litter, no spend shells, whether shotgun or rifle (woodchucks, coyotes, fox, etc. and never tell anyone at the DU banquets where I hunt and shoot, including pest birds in the off seasons. Oh, I dress the ducks and geese and give them to the farmer/land owner. The crows and pigeons go into the manure spreaders (turd hearses, shades of Angus McNab if you will)--I would love to be paired with George Digweed in a blind or hide and have a day of wood pigeon and crow shooting--probably will not happen though! RWTF

What the fuhk you on aboot?

Last edited by lonesome roads; 06/28/21 01:00 PM.
1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh I bet your farmer friends are just over-the-moon when you give them their clean & dressed “pillow cased” birds, all blood shot to shit and mangled, pre tenderized, eh?
You’re ridiculous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I gave up plucking waterfowl years ago-as I only shoot male mallards and geese, I just filet out the breasts, cutting out any distressed meat, and then soaking the meat first in vinegar and water, then tell the farmer's lady to try marinading them in buttermilk, covered and kept in the fridge for 24 hrs. Never had a complaint from the cooks yet as to "pillow cased" birds--extra tenderizing perhaps?? RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good shot only hits them in the head....

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
A good shot only hits them in the dead....

Deep thoughts.....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I gave up plucking waterfowl years ago-as I only shoot male mallards and geese, I just filet out the breasts, cutting out any distressed meat, and then soaking the meat first in vinegar and water, then tell the farmer's lady to try marinading them in buttermilk, covered and kept in the fridge for 24 hrs. Never had a complaint from the cooks yet as to "pillow cased" birds--extra tenderizing perhaps?? RWTF

I would never gift a pillow cased bird to anyone unless it was for their dog or ferret. Whole birds plucked and the pick of the bag only,definitely not parts of extra tenderised /mangled breasts. Perhaps the farmers lady is just too polite to complain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Perhaps the farmers lady----" OK, how about we try "Perhaps the farmer's lady is just too polite to complain?" Much better, ey wot? In my years of befriending farmers, with the goal of having unlimited permission to access their property, I have learned a few things-I'll take the time to share them here, perhaps you might learn a few things about how things are done in The Colonies-- (1) Leave things the way you see them when on a farmer's lands- if a gate is open, even with livestock around, it is open for a reason. (2) always leave the keys in your vehicle and leave it unlocked, in the event that it might have to be moved while you are afield. (3) if, in the off harvesting season, you are invited in for coffee, do so, and take your time in the socializing around the kitchen table- do NOT be in a rush to get out and into the fields with gun in hand-and be a good listener. (4) take time to learn about how crops and commodities are priced- milk is priced by the hundred weight, NOT by the gallon- keep up on going prices for feed, seed, fertilizers, diesel fuel, all the items that are critical to farm operations. (5)-- Never be a litterbug-- farms may look "messy" especially with livestock, more so than cash crop farms, but pick up All your empties- livestock, especially cattle, will pick up your empty shotgun shells and ingest them- which means a big Vet bill, and, most likely, a loss of your hunting/shooting permission there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I leave no litter, no spend shells RWTF

Looks to me like all that banging away would leave quite a few plastic wads. Not such a big deal for those of us who may be lucky enough to bag our 3 rooster pheasants in 80 acres of CRP where 3-5 wads don't amount to much. But in other fields, a lot of plastic wads could certainly look a lot like litter.

And you're not doing your mother the English teacher proud. While people buying shells these days may well spend a lot for them, they're all spent once they've been fired.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Perhaps the farmers lady----" OK, how about we try "Perhaps the farmer's lady is just too polite to complain?" Much better, ey wot? In my years of befriending farmers, with the goal of having unlimited permission to access their property, I have learned a few things-I'll take the time to share them here, perhaps you might learn a few things about how things are done in The Colonies-- (1) Leave things the way you see them when on a farmer's lands- if a gate is open, even with livestock around, it is open for a reason. (2) always leave the keys in your vehicle and leave it unlocked, in the event that it might have to be moved while you are afield. (3) if, in the off harvesting season, you are invited in for coffee, do so, and take your time in the socializing around the kitchen table- do NOT be in a rush to get out and into the fields with gun in hand-and be a good listener. (4) take time to learn about how crops and commodities are priced- milk is priced by the hundred weight, NOT by the gallon- keep up on going prices for feed, seed, fertilizers, diesel fuel, all the items that are critical to farm operations. (5)-- Never be a litterbug-- farms may look "messy" especially with livestock, more so than cash crop farms, but pick up All your empties- livestock, especially cattle, will pick up your empty shotgun shells and ingest them- which means a big Vet bill, and, most likely, a loss of your hunting/shooting permission there.

You’re certainly the master of the obvious RWTF. I can’t say that your homely advice on how to ingratiate yourself with farmers has been enlightening but then having worked on farms and coming from a rural area that shouldn’t come as any surprise. Also having grown up within the farming community I find just being myself seems sufficient to fit in.
One bit of advice I can pass on is Don’t be too impressed by people who constantly tell you who and what they are, it’s usually wishful thinking on their part.
I wouldn’t think that your superficial attempts to fit in with the farming community solely to gain something would overshadow your presentation of mangled parts of wildfowl , overshot at 25 yards with a full choke patterning shotgun , that surely only you would consider fit for the table. I don’t think that approach would work here, you would be considered a laughing stock. You might well try to impress with your pedantic use of basic English grammar but no farmer I know would give you the time of day, you would probably be known as the strange guy that mangles birds at point blank and thinks that it’s acceptable to gift them to people who are better placed to judge their value.
Just out of interest what load are you using for 25 yard wildfowl these days? I may want to quote you when I’m discussing the coming season with some local wildfowlers.
Are you interested in purchasing a ferret ? I could ask around ,it sounds like it wouldn’t be short of a feed at your house.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 06/29/21 05:33 PM. Reason: Addition
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.