March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#598827 06/28/21 10:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave, I spent a lot of time giving some shipping advise to members, like insuring their packages and requiring Signature required for delivery, , I was making some changes to my post and the entire thing vanished, and I sure cannot find it, any possibility I can retrieve my draft?
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Dennis, Do you have the link for your post? If it was saved then there is a possibility I can do something. If it was just a draft and not saved then I am not able to do anything.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope you get it back, Dennis. Even the brief version posted above is good advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

if can answers any questions I would be happy to. As you know I have Quality Arms. While not as active as I once was, did it for 45 years of shipping. UPS came everyday.

John Boyd
Quality ARms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I HAVE USED USPS LATELY, WITHOUT ISSUE. I HAVE HEARD WAR STORIES ABOUT USPS. ONE PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS THEY WILL LEAVE PACKAGES (THAT HAVE BEEN SENT WITH SIGNATURE REQUIREMENT) JUST WHEREVER THEY NORMALLY DROP PACKAGES. UPS DELIVERY RECENTLY TOOK A FULL WEEK TO GO FROM AZ TO TEXAS (2 STATES AWAY) WHEN THE UPS PERSON SAID IT WOULD TAKE 3 DAYS. THAT'S FAIRLY MINOR STUFF. I'M INTERESTED IN HEARING DENNIS' STORY. GIL

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,
Sorry, I don't have the link, it appears to be gone. Frustrating, but it happens. I do fail to see why the designers of any software like this can have something like this happen with no course of restoration, but... Thanks for your help.

In summation, don't ever send a parcel that has any value that does not require Signature Required for Delivery, because if it is missing, or sits out in the rain, too bad. And always insure your parcel for value, if it is missing or broken that is the only hope you have. And don't think that if you use generic terms like sporting goods, or the like that your claim for damage to your firearm is going to be covered. Shippers use insurance companies or self-insure, and insurance companies don't make money by paying claims, they do be denying claims. And I am not trashing insurance companies, it is the nature of the business. Follow their rules, and save your receipts And finally don't re-use a cardboard box that has been shipped around the country and is creased, etc, for obvious reasons. And it is always a good idea to contact you Gunsmith and check he is going to be around before you ship.
The safest packaging is either a plywood box you make up inside a cardboard box, or a plastic egg-shell gun case in a fitting cardboard box.

The postal people tell me the safest, but not necessarily the fastest is Registered Mail, every postal employee that handles it has to sign off for it. But ther box must be wrapped in paper and all seams sealed with paper tape.

I have not found either of the major shippers to be better than others, but I do like the Postal Service myself.

\And I won't go in to adequate packing of you firearm, but don't ship a shotgun assembled, take the barrels off and wrap separately.

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, type your text onto a document. Save. Then super-copy and post. Save often.

I shipped a lot of Pashtun made copies of Enfield muzzle-loaders, Snider-Enfields, and Martini-Henry's back from Afghanistan using card-board map tubes. Had to take them to the JAG, get paper-work, take them to the APO...show the postal clerk, then wrap them in tape and stamp every seam. But for USPS here in the states..use a cardboard tube for barrels...i.e. Container-store. Card-board boxes from almost everywhere work for the stock and action.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't cut any corners either. If, God forbid, something does happen to your shipment, you want to be able to prove that you followed every rule. Adequate padding and distance from the exterior wall of the container is something they will question if a firearm is damaged.

Also.....save early and often here. I too have lost fairly long posts that I had to recreate. Immensely frustrating, especially when you're really pleased with what you just wrote.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/30/21 09:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always “COPY” everything before submitting your post.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately due to Covid right now checking the box 'Signature Required for Delivery' is not a guarantee. Based on personal experience UPS doesn't always get a signature. I had bought a shotgun last year and the UPS driver left it the front of condo building I lived in and didn't even ring the bell. My father had a similar experience with a camera body worth about $3000, left at his front door and they didn't even ring the bell.

Last edited by Chantry; 06/30/21 10:16 AM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.