March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#599331 07/10/21 03:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

UPDATE: This is a 12 gauge. Got t confused with two 10s I got in. I recently bought what seemed t be a pretty nice Webley & Son 12 gauge SxS hammer gun. These types of auctions are AS IS with no returns. You're supposed to ask questions, but that gets you nowhere when they are busy. In any event, what I thought was a small fore end problem is a much bigger problem. A modern screw through fore end was threaded into epoxy to keep it on. The latch hook is GONE! Otherwise, the gun can be brought back by a competent SxS smith. Work would be: Replace latch hook on barrels, repair and rechecker stocks (chip on toe and bent BP) polish overall, and rebrown barrels. Or maybe the first two to keep the aged patina as much as possible. Never had a Webley. Seems to be a pretty good quality gun that just needs some TLC. Is this worth the work? I have about $385 into the gun. I can post pics from my computer if someone can tell me how.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 07/10/21 10:25 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck sounds like a big project

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you spend any more money get the wall thicknesses checked, most other things can be put right but that can’t.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to send the barrels to a good Smith who can assess them and, hopefully, make the repair.

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope it’s a gun you really want because repairs will cost a LOT more than you’ve got in it right now. Yes, Webley’s were very well built guns. In fact, Webley built many of the guns ascribed to many other makers, even a number of London names.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of these - it has been proven reasonably accurate against better quality gauges, assuming it is used correctly (get repeatable measurements).

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...uges/wall-thickness-gauge-prod20463.aspx

Measure the barrels yourself and post the measurements here along with some pictures and you'll get some good advice on whether it is worth the investment. You can always resell the gauge if you don't want to keep it, but I have used mine on a dozen guns at this point and found it well worth having.

I briefly had a 10 gauge hammer gun, and didn't like finding 10 gauge shells (I don't reload). I sold it. No regrets.

Last edited by Dan S. W.; 07/10/21 07:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I reload for my short tens but RST sells appropriately loaded shells for damascus tens. Expensive but how many is a feller really going to shoot.

There is no better patterning gun than a short ten loaded with 1 1/4 oz of #5 lead. Shot string must be very short and hits them (turkeys) like a pancake.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 07/10/21 10:09 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
I hope it’s a gun you really want because repairs will cost a LOT more than you’ve got in it right now. Yes, Webley’s were very well built guns. In fact, Webley built many of the guns ascribed to many other makers, even a number of London names.
I have started buying and selling vintage guns, turning a hobby into a part time job in retirement. Focusing on antiques until I get my FFL. So the intention of buying the gun was for resale. Looking at comps, and depending costs to restore, I think there is a better chance I can get my investment back than selling with its issues. I can strip and brown the tubes, but I need a stock guy and someone to fashion and fit the barrel latch piece. If I knew what it looked like, that would help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do post photos.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Do post photos.
I would, but this site is not too intuitive on that aspect. How do I post photos?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.