March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not around here Lloyd.

Farmers around here, manage their acreage by the square millimeter.

They allow nothing to exist within their properties that doesn’t add to their bottom line.
If there is taxpayer money available to enhance their operation, they work cooperatively to get as much of it as they can.

I think every tiled field in the Saginaw Valley has been re-worked in the last five years.

Hedgerow? What’s a hedgerow?

Think of it as a patchwork of pool tables divided by asphalt.

Every so often some of the big operators will allow a woodlot to exist, just so that their kids can have a place to hang deer stands.
But deer are seen as a scourge that really needs to be eliminated. I don’t see much conservation in that.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal, out of the 1300 acres of row crops (we are growing this year corn, cotton and peanuts) my son and I farm we bottom plowed 300 acres (peanut land), disced and bedded another 500, and minumum-tilled the rest into cover crops of wheat or oats. Doves and quail nest in the cover crops, ON THE GROUND! Saw it for myself this spring, eggs in the nests. It is a proven FACT that no-till and minimum till farming practices increase the organic matter in the soil and sequester higher levels of carbon than with crops that are grown with conventional tillage. That nice aroma you smell when a plow goes through the soil and tears it up is carbon being broken down and going into the atmosphere. There are stupid and ignorant people who refuse to understand that, however. Crop residue and cover crops also foster high numbers of insects which do not necessarily harm the crops planted into it, but feed songbirds and quail. Insects are the main source of protein for quail, and cover crop and no-till practices harbor huge numbers of grasshoppers in this area, perhaps other regions as well. The insecticides we spray to control CERTAIN SPECIES of insects are 99% pyrethroids, and have been for nearly 20 years. Same family of chemicals used in our homes to control roaches, silverfish, earwigs, etc. Totally harmless to mammals and birds, with no secondary kill to birds from eating the insects killed by them. These insecticides are made from chrysanthemums, grown by the thousands of acres in Africa for harvest and processing into pyrethroids.

You may understand much of this already, but there are obviously some who do not, and don't really care to IMO. For them ignorance is bliss.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They're all looking for the Government check....let's spray another round of chemicals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
They're all looking for the Government check....

It’d be revolutionary if Stan sent it back.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good land management Stan and congratulations on your cover crops. Yes doves regularly nest on the ground around here also. I'm a big fan of no-till and minimum-till and know first hand of it's benefit for wildlife. And nice not seeing the ditches with black topsoil blown in like was so common during the old summerfallow days. Even this year we had many newly-seeded fields eroding so bad it created zero visibility for drivers, so there are still some serious problems with conventional tillage, at least up here in the grain belt. I still worry about the effects of ag chemicals, especially as weeds develop resistance to them. As they say "Mother Nature always bats last."

Lloyd3 #599502 07/13/21 07:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We set aside three acres of land this spring that won't be planted to cash crops for 5 years, at least, and signed it up in the NRCS Monarch Butterfly enhancement program. It seems there is a decline in the numbers of Monarchs and they feel it is because of a decline in the plant population that they feed upon, which is butterfly milkweed. We bought milkweed/pollinator seed out of Texas (VERY EXPENSIVE) and planted it in the spring on those 3 acres. I'm hoping to get some pictures of Monarchs pollinating it later in the summer. Pretty cool. It's a program any landowner can potentially qualify for. NRCS has come a long ways in the last few years in promoting wildlife habitat, soil conservation and improved water quality with the programs they offer to the public.

Not targeting you, Hal, but I wonder often when I hear the hue and cry over "farm chemicals" being used if the same people buy all certified organic food, so that they can ensure they ingest nothing "foreign". I also wonder if they refuse to take pharmaceutical chemicals, "labeled" as medicines to alleviate the public's fear. They trust the FDA, and the EPA when it comes to believing their data on pollution, etc., but don't trust them when it comes to the labeling of pesticides. That's a bit disingenuous, eh? Wonder if they use only organic soaps and cleaning products in their homes? The list is endless, but anyone with a mind can see that we are surrounded by "chemicals" everyday that cause us no harm, but that enhance our lives and keep our bank accounts much fatter. If pesticides were banned, and the food supply was forced to be produced without them, there would be rioting in the streets over food prices and short supply. If people understood the years of testing that is necessary to get EPA approval of just one new pesticide for agricultural use they might pause and think before complaining............ with their mouths full. I'll be 70 in October, and have handled and applied pesticides myself for 50 years. I know dozens of other farmers that can say the same thing. I am on no prescription medications other than a drop of Timolol in my right eye each morning for glaucoma. If pesticides were as bad as much of the public thinks they are I'd have been dead years ago. Remember, I handle and apply them, plus I eat from the same food supply that most everyone else does. The same "chemicals" that are deadly to avians are deadly to mammals. If the quail are "gone" because of them why are the deer thriving? They eat our crops directly after we apply pesticides, by the thousands of acres, and can't wait to get back for more, and have two to three fawns every spring. Turkeys are so populous here as to be a nuisance at times. Doves can't wait to get their crop full of corn, wheat or peanuts, and we have them by the tens of thousands every season.

Think for yourselves, people. Don't fall for all the knee-jerk hype you hear from the treehuggers. You only embolden and give them credibility when you do that.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guess you haven't heard Sanford....turkey populations have been on a pretty sharp decline.

Let's not compare mammals to ground nesting birds....

Bird has nest in the field farmers wets birds and nests down with chemicals several times and you're going to tell us how safe the mixtures are.

Chemical dependant farmers like you like to trash talk growing Organic because Organic equals work...(cuts down on Stans computer time).

Organic equals smaller yields cutting down on Sanfords profit....

I suspect if you took the time to figure in the actual cost of Chemicals and Genetically modified seed you might find lower yields more attractive.

What amazes me is we pay big bucks for other countries oil and we feed them damn near for free.

Lloyd3 #599527 07/13/21 11:32 AM
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure true that farmers have been forced to use synthetic or mined fertilizers and manmade molecules to stay competitive in the global food market. I am not complacent about that development. Seems like just yesterday I was dusting potatoes with Paris green in the WWII Victory Gardens and a few years later filling gallon jugs with DDT laden fly spray for the cows. Then came Silent Spring and feeding the world got very complex. Today around here we have black flags flying around the cropfields as warnings that Dicamba has been mixed with the usual Glyphosate when sprayed on genetically modified ("Round Up Ready') soybeans and corn. Farmers, not environmental whackos, are suing one another because of Dicamba drift.
All this because of the development of herbicide resistance in weeds. Another rather frightening way to fight such resistance is to use compounds that stop photosynthesis completely. This is what we call "Double Knock" where Glyphosate goes on first, followed in a few days by a Paraquat "burn down' before seeding. Now there is talk about genetically modified wheat. So field weeds like pigeongrass, wild mustard, and pigweed have almost disappeared and seem to have taken our good dove hunting with them. Guess I'm just a worry-wart, but it has dampened by urge to hunt those wonderful little gamebirds that used to be seen by the hundreds in the wheat stubble and come to my waterholes every evening during the late summer and fall.

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
We set aside three acres of land this spring that won't be planted to cash crops for 5 years, at least, and signed it up in the NRCS Monarch Butterfly enhancement program. It seems there is a decline in the numbers of Monarchs and they feel it is because of a decline in the plant population that they feed upon, which is butterfly milkweed. We bought milkweed/pollinator seed out of Texas (VERY EXPENSIVE) and planted it in the spring on those 3 acres. I'm hoping to get some pictures of Monarchs pollinating it later in the summer. Pretty cool. It's a program any landowner can potentially qualify for. NRCS has come a long ways in the last few years in promoting wildlife habitat, soil conservation and improved water quality with the programs they offer to the public.

Not targeting you, Hal, but I wonder often when I hear the hue and cry over "farm chemicals" being used if the same people buy all certified organic food, so that they can ensure they ingest nothing "foreign". I also wonder if they refuse to take pharmaceutical chemicals, "labeled" as medicines to alleviate the public's fear. They trust the FDA, and the EPA when it comes to believing their data on pollution, etc., but don't trust them when it comes to the labeling of pesticides. That's a bit disingenuous, eh? Wonder if they use only organic soaps and cleaning products in their homes? The list is endless, but anyone with a mind can see that we are surrounded by "chemicals" everyday that cause us no harm, but that enhance our lives and keep our bank accounts much fatter. If pesticides were banned, and the food supply was forced to be produced without them, there would be rioting in the streets over food prices and short supply. If people understood the years of testing that is necessary to get EPA approval of just one new pesticide for agricultural use they might pause and think before complaining............ with their mouths full. I'll be 70 in October, and have handled and applied pesticides myself for 50 years. I know dozens of other farmers that can say the same thing. I am on no prescription medications other than a drop of Timolol in my right eye each morning for glaucoma. If pesticides were as bad as much of the public thinks they are I'd have been dead years ago. Remember, I handle and apply them, plus I eat from the same food supply that most everyone else does. The same "chemicals" that are deadly to avians are deadly to mammals. If the quail are "gone" because of them why are the deer thriving? They eat our crops directly after we apply pesticides, by the thousands of acres, and can't wait to get back for more, and have two to three fawns every spring. Turkeys are so populous here as to be a nuisance at times. Doves can't wait to get their crop full of corn, wheat or peanuts, and we have them by the tens of thousands every season.

Think for yourselves, people. Don't fall for all the knee-jerk hype you hear from the treehuggers. You only embolden and give them credibility when you do that.

Devoting 3 acres of a farm to butterfly production is quite impressive. There aren't many folks willing to devote their time, money, and resources to a project like that for a non-game species. Stan, don't you just love it when people who have never spent one thin dime of their own money for wildlife management are so willing to tell you how you are doing it wrong?

Here's a suggestion for anyone who wants more wildlife of whatever kind you like - stop spending your extra money on things like bass boats, golfing trips, and expensive shotguns. Then take that money and buy your own tract of land and then spend the time and money to produce the kind of wildlife you want. Anyone can do it if you are willing to make it a priority.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

No answer Stan....

Let me guess you're out mixing chemicals for the morning wildlife bAth.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.