March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Manton percussion and possibly flintlock guns have surfaced with a grip safety allowing the gun to stay on safety at full cock until the shooter's hand grips the wrist releasing the safety. I have read somewhere that this was not Joe or John Manton's patent but was a safety that they occasionally used. Does anyone know who patented this early grip safety? Thanks.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rich, I have no idea who came up with the grip safety but here is mine. I believe the gun was likely made by Alexander Wilson who worked for Joe Manton but left to go into business for himself. Obviously it is a late flint gun, likely from the 1820’s. The safety is sort of neat but the “flaw” is that when the gun is carried normally—the right hand around the wrist and left on the forend I find myself inadvertently squeezing the grip safety, rendering it useless. But it’s a nice touch and since mine is a self priming flinter it sure adds a bit of safety while loading even though the gun is supposed to be on half cock.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I realize the following is much later but it contains the >>Manton<< central theme:

So the Belgians adopted Manton's novel addition.

[[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Words=clinch&Search=true#Post597076

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The grip safety is an interesting appendage, but in use it's just plain silly for reasons given by Joe Wood.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. Although silly to carry a gun with this kind of grip safety in the field for the reason given by Joe Wood, the mechanism could have been useful in a duck blind. You could lean the gun against the wall of the blind at full cock waiting for the ducks to decoy. Picking it up to swing and in the process gripping the wrist and releasing the safety would be natural in that setting. I say this because I have seen this grip safety on an 8 1/2 lb. John Manton duck gun (a flintlock conversion) with shackles for a strap to carry the gun likely back and forth to a blind.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for this post: very interesting!

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen this feature on a coupe of percussion guns that Kirby Hoyt had for sale, and on a gun I tried to bid on at Amoskeag auctions. It's certainly interesting. Never actually seen one live though.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Here is a scan of some pictures of a Charles Lancaster .500 ML conversion I sold a few years ago with a grip safety. It was a wonderful gun. I had better pics but cannot find them right now.
Steve

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a Parker with a grip safety floating around a few years ago. I don't remember seeing a PGCA letter on that gun. My opinion is that it was a retrofit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own and have held other Stephen Grant shotguns from the 1890 to 1910 era with grip safeties in hammer and hammerless configurations.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.