March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I talked to Mr. Makinson a long time ago at OGCA when the meeting were still in Columbus, OH. He seemed to be a fine & knowledgeable fellow.

A comment he made in one of the articles he wrote for the Doublegun Journal always stuck with me.

I'm paraphrasing here but his comment was that he frequently received cased guns with the case straps rolled up & stored in the case "presumably for a rainy day" and the case held closed only by the clasp & that when the case popped open & spilled the contents onto a hard surface it would be a "truly rainy day for the owner".

Subtle British humor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are diminished.
Another trained Brummie gone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With Nick's passing I lost a friend of almost 40 years. Not only was Nick a first class gunmaker he was also an avid gardener and Mason. Over the years I visited Nick's shop and home many times. Some times the visit was to discuss a gun related project but almost always afterwards a discussion on the Birmingham Gun trade would follow. In summer time we would tour Nicks garden, his floral displays were exceptional.
Nick's skill and ability will be missed by the gun collecting and hunting fraternity, but he will also be missed because of his friendly and welcoming approach to customers.
R.I.P. Nick

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 07/17/21 02:47 PM. Reason: typo

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Between Nick Makinson and fellow Brummie Arthur Troth passing we have lost a pair of fine craftsmen. Gentleman of another era. [edited]

Olgrouser #599766 07/18/21 06:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've known Nick dating back to the 80's and have visited his shop several times. And, of course, he did a number of double gun projects for me.
His work was first class and he and his wife always made my visits enjoyable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montana: What a nice tribute. None of us could ask for more! Gil

[IMG]
Olgrouser #599813 07/19/21 05:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Olgrouser
Between Nick Makinson and fellow Brummie Arthur Troth passing we have lost a pair of fine craftsmen. Gentleman not of another era.

Damn. I had not heard of Mr Troth’s passing. Another smith I had used and who did some fine work on one of my guns. Also, another gentleman. We are poorer for their passing.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm very sorry to hear of Nick's passing. Nick performed some repair work on a couple of my guns six or seven years ago He was always super to deal with and did top notch work. I later picked up a custom bolt gun that he created. I called him to get some details on the gun, and following the call, he graciously sent me some pictures of my gun being exhibited at what looks like the Safari club show a decade or so earlier. He also included a trade label which was really a cool touch.

I didn't know Nick well, but all my interactions were really good ones. I will miss him.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to have another Smith pass. Rip. Comfort to his family.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.