March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not surprised- "Lawyers clean up all details!"" Don Henley--"The Age of the Innocence".. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The checks were for $30.00 per gun, for each gun that you registered for a claim. At the time I had a dozen or more Remingtons. Many owners never registered and got nothing. I did get amused by the fine print which said if more people were identified I could be required to return a portion of the settlement for redistribution. I’m sure the lawyers had no such obligation. I had almost forgotten about that suit and the 700 trigger/safety suit. Long time ago it seems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So what is the actual result of this law suit (besides the $30 payout)? So there’s close to a 3/4 of a million “defective” Remington shotguns out there, how many of those have blown up? How many blown barrels can be traced back to faulty steel vs. something the shooter did?
I honestly have heard more about Krieghoff barrels letting loose more than I do about Remington barrels or even old Damascus barrels!

What’s the back story on the Garza suit?

Eightbore: do you know why the bottom barrel burst on that 3200 set?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original suit was related to a barrel burst in 1983 with a second hand 1100 in the hands of a trapshooter using RELOADS

Loitz vs. Remington Arms, 1990
http://law.justia.com/cases/illinois/supreme-court/1990/68367-7.html

Lots of stuff out on the internet, including previous discussions here.

So back to the question. My opinion is just that and of no more weight than anyone else's, but I would be very reluctant to use anything but quality steel target loads in a barrel that was not Chrome Moly or Nickel Steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well that was an interesting read. Thanks for the “justia” link, Drew.

I’ll keep shooting steel through my 3200. The pressures on the factory steel loads I use are well within Saami and CIP specs, same as any lead shot shell intended for the same purpose would be.
If that wasn’t the case, over a million Remington shotguns would be regulated to using RST’s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel shot shells have come a long ways since they were first mandated. With that said, I could not recommend using steel in a Model 32. I say this based on the same reasons steel is not recommended in any other vintage shotgun.

With the Model 3200, I would say it comes down to overall condition of the gun. I think with open chokes and smaller shot sizes, you should be okay provided it is not a steady diet.

But I tend to agree with an earlier post. Why take the chance? As steel shot shells have improved, Bismuth shells are much cheaper than when they first appeared. As the guns age they weaken, both steel and wood. Ribs loosen, and wood dries. I'm a big fan of RST shells. 2 1/2 and 2 3/4" will still kill ducks and it only takes one pellet to kill a Woodcock.

Just my opinion like others, based on personal experiences.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bismuth isn’t cheap enough. Especially for a hardcore waterfowler. Not even close to being practical for a volume hunter. Now if a guy was shooting 20 ducks/geese a season, maybe. I’m not one of those guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hate to differ, but my 7 Model 12's, dating from 1921 through 1949, have all been shot a ton, the 3 12's with steel shot for 30 years hand runnin' they are still as smooth and solid as when they came into my hands, and the 3 12's I use with steel shot are all full choked, and there is NO bulging of deformation of the barrel in any way shape or form. I have in the gun cabinet a framed ad from a No.v 1957 Field&Stream magazine- showing a hunter holding a M12 and he's sitting on a huge pile of empty Red Winchester hulls- and a freight care in the background- the ad states: "A Lifetime of Shooting Won't wear out a Model 12-- That, boys and girls, is what Hemingway would have called "The True Gen"-- count on it.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

LeFusil, my 3200 blew the bottom barrel, behind the forend, after I fired it with a wad in the bore that I had forgotten had been left there after a defective load was fired. If anyone wants to use that barrel for steel shot testing, let me know and we can work something out, cheap. It would also be a good base for a sleeving project.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.