March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, LeFusil, Ken Nelson, battle, 2 invisible), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Newton 1131
David, I will have to decline your invite. Fuel prices are way to high for a visit. You cam PM me your address and I will send you box ox tissues to dry your eyes.
Very interesting Muenier 03, please tell us more about it.

Since you're a rude obnoxious [censored], I assume you're from New York. That's not such a long drive to Central PA.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is a study of the failure rate of low-number Spingfields. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MNn-sVcfW2AJ:m1903.com/03rcvrfail/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b It seems to be very low.

I seem to recall that the fellow shooting the Meunier that blew up was using a low pressure round with a cast bullet, but this forum's search engine does not work very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by David Zincavage
I seem to recall that the fellow shooting the Meunier that blew up was using a low pressure round with a cast bullet, but this forum's search engine does not work very well.

I believe this is the thread you were looking for

blow up thread

I believe that the shooter thought it was a low pressure load, but it was not a load recommended by the producer of the powder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think people handloading "light loads" have blown more guns than just about anything, double charges, wrong powder, "light load" doesn't always mean low pressure either.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc

blow up thread

Yes, it is. Thanks for finding it.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc

blow up thread

I believe that the shooter thought it was a low pressure load, but it was not a load recommended by the producer of the powder.

Fred thanks for the link. Maybe you can further assist by posting that report that was done on this accident. You one time shared it with me and maybe on here also but I can't put my finger on it right now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LRF
Fred thanks for the link. Maybe you can further assist by posting that report that was done on this accident. You one time shared it with me and maybe on here also but I can't put my finger on it right now.

What Lynn is referring to, is that there was a really impressive metallurgical study performed on the remains of the rifle that blew up. I have a pdf, but
I am not sure how to post it on the forum or if I would be violating any copyrights by doing so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred and All.
The study on the blown Muenier 03 was featured in a two part article in GUNMAKER magazine. Gunmaker is the very well done magazine of The American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I would encourage anyone here to to join as an associate member,or professional. Their magazine has good articles and you can correspond with professional members from their website. The study was given to them to publish and I don’t know if they have copyright or their policies to post it here.
When I bought the remains of the rifle I sent them to a metallurgist who went above and beyond when he put a team of three other metallurgist together who where each award winning professionals in their field of metallurgy. The reason I picked this rifle for study was the fact we know what loads Michael put through it and the the owner of the rifle tells us in detail of his loading at time of failure. I could go into more detail but hopefully we can get the study here and you can read it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Newton 1131
Fred and All.
The study on the blown Muenier 03 was featured in a two part article in GUNMAKER magazine. Gunmaker is the very well done magazine of The American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I would encourage anyone here to to join as an associate member,or professional. Their magazine has good articles and you can correspond with professional members from their website. The study was given to them to publish and I don’t know if they have copyright or their policies to post it here.
When I bought the remains of the rifle I sent them to a metallurgist who went above and beyond when he put a team of three other metallurgist together who where each award winning professionals in their field of metallurgy. The reason I picked this rifle for study was the fact we know what loads Michael put through it and the the owner of the rifle tells us in detail of his loading at time of failure. I could go into more detail but hopefully we can get the study here and you can read it.

The article came out in 2018, I reread it today. There were so many things I missed when I first read it. I really am impressed by the science that went into it.
I consider it a "must read" for anyone interested in the low number Springfield issue. It should be discussed every time someone raises the issue of low-numbered
Springfields.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.