April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parabola), 180 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lovely gun. Thanks for posting. 14 1/2" LOP is nice for a gun of the period. I can't see anything at all to complain about except my lack of funds to buy it immediately!

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grip safeties occasionally turn up on early pin-fire game guns, and on conversions from percussion. There appear to be several patents involved.

Here is a Harris Holland 12-bore, no. 824:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A Hugh Snowie 14-bore, no. 3277:

A 16-bore conversion to pin-fire from percussion, unsigned:

And here is an unusual variation on the grip-safety idea, on a 16-bore pin-fire signed Robert Marrison of Norwich, no. 2281, with an action by Jean Louis Mathieu Godin of Herstal, Belgium, itself a copy of Beatus Beringer's peculiar underlever action. The safety is a small stud protruding behind the hammers, and the triggers cannot be pulled if the underlever is not correctly in place and the stud is correspondingly depressed:

1 member likes this: Drew Hause
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven
Is the last gun you posted a Beringer?
Steve Helsley

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Steve Helsley
Steven
Is the last gun you posted a Beringer?
Steve Helsley

Steve, the Godin action on that Marrison gun is very much a Beringer copy, as far as the underlever is concerned. The Beringer guns I’ve seen (in pictures, not in the hand) have a single-bite barrel lump attachment, and are often with a small stud rising from the action flats to aid with opening/closing the barrels — exactly the configuration Lang copied in his first pin-fire in 1853 or so. I now firmly believe Lang’s gun was copied after Beringer, and not Lefaucheux as usually surmised; both French makers presented guns at The Great Exhibition of 1851.

The Godin action pictured above has the typical Lefaucheux double-bite screw grip, combined with the Beringer lever. Add the nifty safety mechanism, and Godin appears to have merged the benefits of both designs. The action is claimed to be Godin’s patent, but I don’t know if the patent refers to the overall action, the action with the safety catch, or just the safety catch. Documentation on Godin is sparse…

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.