March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (KY Jon, AZMike, Karl Graebner, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing very few people figure in is the shape of the comb. The measurements seldom account for drop at face, and the comb profile is never quantified. A consistent gun mount must be developed before any fitting numbers are meaningful. As mentioned the mechanical influence of bore and choke being concentric, convergence of patterns on target. As Brister said art and science.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

not all my sxs are the same measurements, but pretty close at the face, which is usually about 3" back from the comb but could be different for you. The other point often missed but is critical is the shape of the butt. A sharp toe relative to your chest will throw the pattern high.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been fitted, and have the measurements from that session. They turned out to be extremely close to what I had already determined I needed, by shooting at a plate and making dimensional adjustments myself. That said, the only thing knowing my measurements are useful for is when looking at guns online, or ordering a gun. I can usually know, within a range, if a gun is unsuitable for me by examining the dims on it. But, nothing can take the place of shouldering the gun a few times. I can mount a gun and know immediately if I will be able to shoot it reasonably well. Years of shooting different guns is worth a lot.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I've been fitted, and have the measurements from that session. They turned out to be extremely close to what I had already determined I needed, by shooting at a plate and making dimensional adjustments myself. That said, the only thing knowing my measurements are useful for is when looking at guns online, or ordering a gun. I can usually know, within a range, if a gun is unsuitable for me by examining the dims on it. But, nothing can take the place of shouldering the gun a few times. I can mount a gun and know immediately if I will be able to shoot it reasonably well. Years of shooting different guns is worth a lot.

"not all my sxs are the same measurements, but pretty close at the face, which is usually about 3" back from the comb but could be different for you."

I agree.

My preference is to only have sxs that shoot to the same POI (or very close to it) so that I don't need to make any adjustments when I go from one shotgun to another one. I'll shoot a new purchase at targets and at a pattern sheet at 16 yards. If I feel it's needed, I will have the stock bent.

Last edited by rtw; 08/05/21 01:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Originally Posted by mel5141
I caution you about putting so much emphasis on "measurements" those were your measurements for THAT Gun.... Subject to change......with each subsequent gun....
Remember one very important principle....... Gun Fit is simply a matter of WHERE THE LOADS GO.... with any gun.... not .a set of carpenter measurements that will not likely carry over for multiple guns.....
Point of Impact connected to a particular Point of Aim......that is the essence of "Gun Fit"
Lots of guns and a LOT of Shooting behind my opinion.

Exactly what Mel said. Among other considerations: summer or winter? Heavy clothing or shirtsleeves? Weight of gun and where does it balance? Premounted or low gun? Instinctive shot or aimed? And on and on. Every gun will have different measurements and even those vary with the season. Good luck!

Joe's point regarding "Premounted or low gun? Instinctive shot or aimed?" resonates with me. I've always been a low-gun shooter, but in the past I was much more of an aimer, and I preferred and shot best looking down a flat rib. I eventually weened myself off the barrel and I now prefer and shoot best with a higher comb well above the rib with either a SxS or an O/U.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Buzz
I’ve always heard that a gun fitting for a SxS vs an O/U is ‘slightly different’. So, what’s slightly different??

It has to do with the difference in barrel flip. I need an O/U comb slightly higher. But most O/U shooting is not as low gun as side by side shooting so the higher comb seems easier to adjust to for my shooting style. Unless the rib is extra high it makes little difference to my shooting style but high ribs on side by sides just look hideous to my eye.

If a person has been fitted they need to consider it as a starting point not the answer to their shooting needs for every situation. It is a rough guide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does not barrel flip occur after the trigger is pulled? If a gun is properly fitted how does fitting a gun for barrel flip come into play before the shot? For the second shot?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.