March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marc Ret, Tim in PA, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 785 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

The dove population in my area has been on the decline for many years due to the steady disappearance of row-crop farming. With the advent of legalized baiting (disc up 2-3 acres and layer it with wheat) around every bend in the road by the local good ol' boys who blast them morning and afternoon for the 3-day Labor Day weekend until the local thin population has been wiped out, It gets to be less each passing year.

I've tried to convince the Miss. Dept. of Wildlife to only allow afternoon-only hunts/shoots on opening weekend to extend the resource somewhat. They look at you like you've got two heads.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
You ain't trying to weasel into Foxes spot are you George ?

Nah,jOe. Plenty of doves around my south GA area and I've been opening the dove season with the same guys for many years, some since we were in high school together about sixty years ago. Not near as many of us as there used to be but new generations make up the loss. I often hunt now with the kids of the kids who grew up around our home playing with my kids. I hope that my grandsons enjoy the same lifetime hunting camaraderie with my old friend's grandkids as my generation did with our old hunting buddies...Geo

3 members like this: mc, GLS, 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm finally taking the day off for the opener this year

Sidelock
Sidelock

You Dixie based gents might find it interesting to read, or re-read Nash Buckingham's "The Dove"-- he talks about baiting, arbitrary distances or zones and what a nightmare that fiasco was to enforce, 1/2 day seasons (also might work for waterfowling too) and other sage bits of wisdom from De Shootin'ist G'entman hisownself>> RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox most all Southern dove hunters bait in one way or another.

Once I asked a Federal game warden if he could explain the difference between hunting a field expressly planted and manipulated to shoot dove on and hunting a field that the guy just threw out grain on....he really had no answer.

Maybe Stan can explain the difference between bait and bait.

Kinda like lipstick on a pig beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 08/08/21 08:55 AM. Reason: I'm sure Stan can depend on two Geo'ja lawyers weigh in on de'bait
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look closely and you'll see the sag in that powerline- what's the aprox. weight of a dove, by the way?

Sidelock
Sidelock

can we substitute grits for the pablum? RWTF I love grits..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox along with baited fields some Southern "Sportsmsn" even go so far as to put up phoney power line wires so the doves will come in and lite....power wire shooting doved rates a little above ground swating quail

Only good thing that might have came from your trip is when you out shot Stanley and his famous Yiltz shootgun..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Good luck, Rich.

33 days, and counting ...............

You pay for that dove field with your Corona virus farm loan ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Only good thing that might have came from your trip..

"have came" Rotflmao
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.