March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#601798 08/23/21 08:37 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don’t think it was a steal, but I think it was well worth the price of admission.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907386577

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hopefully, the buyer will install Winchester Super Grade swivels rather than modifying the swivel bases for modern swivels. Nice gun, well worth the price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that torx mounted scope base is truly cringe worthy, particularly the back screw. I don't know if somewhere under it is authentic, but I think the buffer ruined it, and whoever did it, did so on purpose, hoping to turn a quick profit on the name? It might have had twoish phases, first to remove a peep sight and scope it, and second to spruce it up on the cheap. I wonder if it was just left alone, if it would have brought more. Just guessing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only have one Niedner and it is a target rifle, the markings on it's barrel are a lot smaller than on this 7x57

My Niedner

Does anyone else have a Niedner with barrel markings like on this 7x57?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It’s a correct font. I think this was the first version after the 2 line address for Dowagiac.

Too bad they didn’t take it out of the stock to show the barrel number.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

NOW I think it was a steal!
Well, in the end what matters is that I think highly of the rifle! It arrived and is incredible. The photos do not do the rifle justice. They cannot convey the feel of this piece. It is slim and almost “dainty.” The photos don’t do not accurately illustrate the slender wrist and narrow forend. They do not truly show the expert stock work, seamless horn grip cap, fine checkering and overall spectacular custom feel of the rifle. It is as good as any Griffin and Howe piece that I have handled and is, as desired, a gorgeous and subtle example of custom gunsmithing and a premium deer rifle from the days of yore.
I have not one complaint or regret, I see the buggered screws and the mismatched scope mount. There is a small piece of wood well fit to the slot for the original peep sight. The recoil pad could be improved upon, but this rifle will proudly see some miles of Virginia Hardwoods this fall. --aesthetics aside, OH BOY DOES SHE SHOOT!

Last edited by Marks_21; 09/11/21 04:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it, a lot. Good catch.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would repair that bolt handle to match the quality of the rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle shows some very nice work and slim lines, hope you put it to use and kill some deer with it.
Something that don't understand is why would the maker, (or for that matter any maker, I've seen others done the same way) take the time to rebarrel, make a nice stock, contour the trigger guard, blue everything, but leave the lock screws and sling hole in place? It's like seeing a dead fly in the mashed potato bowl. It would take little more effort to weld them up, recut the action screw holes and replace the original action screws. Another option would be to just replace the Mauser bottom metal with Springfield bottom metal. Not much more work to do that, either. Doing one or the other, in my opinion, would have made a much better looking finished product and only add a small percentage to the overall cost of the gun. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Boxlock
Boxlock

A very nice rifle. I owned it for a while and enjoyed owning it but didn't shoot it. The bolt handle and removed sights detract very little from the great stock and overall balance of the rifle. It had a Leupold 3x9 on that mount when I got it and when I sold it. Considered restoring sights to it but there to many projects and little time left. Enjoy your great rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.