March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grits, like cathead biscuits, are gifts to man from the good Lord. And grilled quail and dove are treats us Damn Yankees can only hope to taste-- very few quail here in MI, and we do not have a legal season on doves- damn shame too- as I see tons of them around the dairy and beef cattle farms where I get my best pigeon shooting. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never met a biscuit I did not like. I had a grandmother who kept a wood stove in her kitchen just for biscuits along with a propane gas stove until she passed in 1970. She made several different types including Cathead, Biscuits with lard and a whole wheat biscuit which I really wish I could duplicate. I expect the little oven must have been 600 plus degrees. Biscuits were fast to bake golden with a delightful crunchy edges. With five kids, biscuits were essential fare during the Depression. She learned several different types for variety. All were superb. Sure your grandmother had a couple great one as well.

Last edited by KY Jon; 08/25/21 12:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My maternal grandmother passed in 1972 and I still fondly remember her "cat head" biscuits. She always kept her bread making implements consisting of a large bowl carved out of a solid piece of poplar (which I now have) and a maple rolling pin on her kitchen counter. That bread bowl was always filled with white flour and covered with a cloth when not being used. When ready to make a pan of biscuits she'd hollow out a space in the flour, add a glob of lard, butter milk, salt, and maybe some other stuff (?); mix it all up and make those fist-sized biscuits. She'd always have a pan of biscuits atop the stove when us kids got home from school; so we'd get a biscuit, punch a hole in the side with our finger, then fill it with sorghum syrup or with whatever home made jam or jelly she had at the time. They were delicious; but in all honesty, as a kid I never understood how much to appreciate my grandmother and her biscuits till long after she was gone. But I do have those cherished memories.

1 member likes this: battle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another fan of those Southern biscuits was the central character in the movie "Slingblade"-- he liked his with mustard, also his french fries-- to each his own, but for me, mustard is for ball park hotdogs-also with sauerkraut--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox the character he played was tOuched in the head....everyone in the South knows you can't have mustard on a cat head biscuit without some hog sausage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
If your quail have skin on, we use a recipe from Goode’s in Houston. I always have quail for breakfast there. Just the best. With the breastbone removed we spread the whole bird out like butterflying. Apply light olive oil, then a liberal rubbing of some bbq [Goode’s is the best] rub. Grill at about 350 degrees about three minutes per side. Awfully fine eating . The secret for us is getting the proper grill time, depending on the birds used.

Goode & co BBQ, on I-10, by Gessner?
I always ate lunch there after gun shows; sliced brisket on jalapeño cheese bread, with a Shiner.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
with a Shiner.

He loves Beer, He loves Texas, He Loves Texas Beer.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beer = Good

And yes, butterflying a quail and properly grilling it is a great way to cook it.

Last edited by Tom Findrick; 08/26/21 09:52 AM.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

Goode & co BBQ, on I-10, by Gessner?
I always ate lunch there after gun shows; sliced brisket on jalapeño cheese bread, with a Shiner.

Lafayette or American Coney Island in downtown Detroit? Depends on who’s buying.
We always eat there after a hockey game. Coney, heavy onion with a Vernor’s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beer = Good

And yes, butterflying a quail and properly grilling it is a great way to cook it.
I've got both Shiner Bock & Shiner Oktoberfest in the fridge. Both are very good although I give the Sam Adams Oktoberfest a slight edge.

I've read that Spoetzl Brewing of Shiner TX uses some corn in their brewing process. Making beer & bourbon is a much better way to utilize corn than turning it into grits.

I have not tried grilled Quail & I would have to agree w/ Stan that pan fried Quail done properly would be difficult to improve upon however I would be willing to give grilling a try if presented with the opportunity. To me, Quail is a lot like Ruffed Grouse in that it doesn't need much in the way of spices or marinade to be excellent on the table.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.