March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by ed good
how far will you be from international falls?

The ancestral home of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

They were from Frostbite Falls. Totally different Zip code.

Best,
Ted

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

In a Dutch oven place a layer of apples and onions then a layer of goose breasts and legs cover with drained sauer kraut sprinkle with a little brown sugar crisp fried bacon and the bacon grease some black pepper, a quarter cup of riesling and bake. Make a dipping sauce of apricot jam and stone ground mustard. Get Fat and happy.

For many years I ran a spring trapline in the Orr area and fall/winter line out of a cabin about thirty miles south of Warroad. We lived on Muskrats, beaver haunches, beaver liver, grouse and snowshoes. I always took Labor Day week to hunt woodcock out of Cussin and camped in the Sheep Pastures.

Last edited by oskar; 08/29/21 07:22 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The only place I have ever seen both Pine Martin and Fisher are in the area just south of Orr. I grouse hunted a friends deer camp for years, chasing the weasels out from under the shack for a few weeks prior to the festival of deer camp beginning . I did not partake of deer camp, but, always saw to it that some wood was split and stacked, and a bucket of fried chicken was in the fridge for lunch on opening day.

God, we were young.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

God, we were young.

Thin, good eyes and arms worked.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
God, we were young.

Thin, good eyes and arms worked.

Go ahead and put your picture up. Love to see a pretty ex-marine.

Best,
Ted

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the corned goose recipe. Back in the '60's I corned jackrabbit loins and it made great sandwich meat. But I used what we called 'cure' (Potassium nitrate or saltpeter) to keep the reddish color and supposedly improve the taste.

If I get another Canada goose I will hang it for a looong time to help tenderize. Sort of like the old ranchers that used meat poles. I thought acidity did the trick by also helping to break down the cell walls. For venison cut into bitesize cubes, I marinate 24 hrs in half buttermilk and half homemade tomato juice that has lemon and lime juice added for greater acidity. I then bread and bake in oiled pan with potatoes, carrots, peppers, etd. cut to the same size. The method does tenderize, but gives the meat a bit of a crumbly texture.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well....I made it. Long ride in a small car. The fuel economy was great but my rump may never recover. Now, let the fun begin!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/14/21 12:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

report?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok Ed. Warm and windy so-far. Seeing shocking numbers of raptors (mostly red-tailed hawks). Seems like you flush one every few hundred feet as you drive the forest roads (hope they are migrating?). The opener was quite busy, with lots of sports fans in the woods (the ongoing gift of COVID?). It was over 80 while walking in the woods yesterday and I was actually contemplating hunting in shorts and tennis shoes. Cooling down this week (thankfully) and the leaf-fall is just starting. I have not seen any road birds yet (because of all the raptors?) but am figuring on hitting some of my favorite spots this week to hopefully get a better sense of numbers. Seeing a spectacular selection of mushrooms on the trails. Wish I had a better handle on the good ones (boletus).

My brothers J. Graham & Co. of Inverness 20-bore BLNE (and my Dickenson):

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/26/21 11:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
Thanks for the update, as I'll be heading for the U.P. soon.
Karl

Does a bear do it in the woods? Why yes they do!
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.