March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChiefAmungum), 217 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,975
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#602129 08/31/21 10:21 PM
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On one of my doubles the top screw, under the top lever, slowly works counter clockwise when shooting. It doesn't become loose but starts in that direction. I mentioned to a gunsmith, unfortunately he is a couple hours away, and he said it can be fixed by adding a very thin piece of wood , kind of like a shim. As he explained it the screw needs the tension it would have when tightened to keep it in place properly. Does this sound right and is it just a matter of adding a very thin piece right under the screw?

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest removing the screw and after cleaning the threads apply some blue Locktite to the threads and replace, tightening to where it is clocked. The blue Locktite is not permanent so the screw can be removed. I have little faith in the shim method. Under the head it might raise the screw enough to interfere with the closing of the top lever.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

That “screw” is commonly referred to as a “breech pin”.

I wonder why this gunsmith didn’t recommend using a drop of blue loctite? That would probably be the first thing I’d try. The piece of wood or shim recommendation seems silly to me, because that pin threads into the trigger plate, the threads are at the bottom of the pin. That shimming method works well with a wood screw for tightening things up, but not for a machine screw.

Try a drop of loctite. If that doesn’t do the trick, look into having another breech pin fitted up.

Btw…tighten the pin to where it’s actually tight. Not where it’s “timed” correctly. If you want a pin that is both tight and timed correctly, then have a new one turned and fitted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The screw loosens, likely because it does not have the original amount of tension.
What happened? The wood likely shrank a tiny bit.
Is adding a shim under the trigger plate or top tang wrong??
I've done that---
Very dumb, I guess.....

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the gun have double triggers, or single? If a single, be very careful not to over tighten the screw, also (I believe) sometimes referred to as the hand pin.

I second the use of blue Loctite. Don't use the red anyplace you can't apply heat to get it to release.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To start Locktite is the perfect quick answer to this type of problem but there where days when Locktite was not available and there where other cures for this problem, some a little odd and others that can cause a sharp intake of breath. One of the best methods of re timing a screw I have ever found is some strands of coarse wire wool warped under the head and the screw is timed by removing or adding some strands. This works so well because the strands of wire wool act as a lock washer as well as adding depth keeping the screw in place. Adding Shellac to the screw thread and assembling acts like Locktite when it drys. Now for the sharp breath intake ones, place a piece of lead sheet on a hard surface next lay your screw on that next hit the screw lightly just enough to distort the thread on the hit side. In doing this the distorted threads will tighten the screw in the threaded hole it goes into. Last but not least Tin the thread with Solder this will increase the screw size and make the screw tight in the threaded hole. There are other methods like putting a length of copper wire in the hole before the screw. So Locktite really is an answer to a modern Engineers prayer's.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Does the gun have double triggers, or single? If a single, be very careful not to over tighten the screw, also (I believe) sometimes referred to as the hand pin.

I second the use of blue Loctite. Don't use the red anyplace you can't apply heat to get it to release.

The hand pin is the pin that threads upward from the trigger plate into the rear of top tang. The hand pin head is usually hidden underneath the trigger guard tang, the end of the pin is filed flush with the top tang.

All of those pins should be tight. Those are the pins that hold your stock onto the gun. Loose breech and hand pins equal cracked stocks. I’ve never dealt with LC Smiths with HOT, so I don’t know about those, seems odd that you can’t tighten a pin down because it interferes with the operation of a trigger. What a quirk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adding the shim is a perfectly appropriate old time fix, but it goes under the tang, not the screw head. Blue Locktite is fine too, but it may not address shrinkage.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
That “screw” is commonly referred to as a “breech pin”.

I wonder why this gunsmith didn’t recommend using a drop of blue loctite? That would probably be the first thing I’d try. The piece of wood or shim recommendation seems silly to me, because that pin threads into the trigger plate, the threads are at the bottom of the pin. That shimming method works well with a wood screw for tightening things up, but not for a machine screw.

Try a drop of loctite. If that doesn’t do the trick, look into having another breech pin fitted up.

Btw…tighten the pin to where it’s actually tight. Not where it’s “timed” correctly. If you want a pin that is both tight and timed correctly, then have a new one turned and fitted.

I recall a gunsmith (I think Hugh Lomas) telling me that tight is more important than in proper alignment.

1 member likes this: gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wondering why glass bedding screws hasn't been mentioned? I haven't bedded screws on a shotgun but I have done every bg game rifle I own when I bedded the actions. The screws tighten down to exactly the same place every time and I've never had them work loose. I've used it from a .338WinMag down to a .222Rem. and I've not seen any degrading of the glass from wear, recoil or other. I think it would stand up the repeated recoil of a shotgun.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.