March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Parabola.

The bores are very tight, at .399" and .398", and taper down to .391" and .390" at the muzzles, giving .008" constriction in each barrel. With it's tight bores, and with sufficient wall thickness, I'm considering talking to Dean Harris about backboring the left barrel a little, to give me some more choke in it. I think it would make it a bit more versatile. He's a "gem" with barrels and chokes, and I'd trust his recommendation on whether or not to do so without question. One other thing I definitely will have done is sending it off to have the stock bent down for a little more drop. It's a bit too straight for me, for best shooting.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan

Before you decide on back boring I take it that you will pattern test it at your likely optimum range.

More choke can lead to unevenness in pattern coverage, particularly in a .410, and if it is delivering clan kills at 36 years the bore may be better left alone.

Good stock fit is always important.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've pattern tested it many times, Parabola, but thanks for the reminder. It's a double trigger gun and I enjoy the versatility/option of having two differently choked barrels when hunting. I have another 30" barreled .410 double, the FAIR Iside, that has choke tubes. In patterning it I found that some of the tighter chokes worked quite well at tightening up the pattern for distance, without blowing the patterns badly. Shot size and load plays into that a great deal as well. It's all a "package", one might say.

Best to you, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another GA dove season opener yesterday. I don't think I've missed one since I was 14. I like to have missed yesterday due to the fact my telephone was ominously silent last week during the traditional invitation period for an opening day shoot. Without an invite, I went out to a grown up clear-cut on my deer lease with just a chair and a mojo teal spinner-wing and sat down under a shade tree. No doves, but I went.

I did hear a dove shoot going on somewhere in the distance and hope those boys had a good and safe outing. My own shoot was certainly safe because I fired no shots at all. I did however manage to fall asleep on my folding chair and turn it over into a brier patch, getting a good whack on the face in the fall. My lovely little Lindner Daly featherweight suffered no damage in the fall, I'm happy to say.

For many years my group of guys has made a tradition of gathering for the whole Labor Day weekend at a friend's plantation on the banks of the Ocmulgee river. We always had a good shoot there one day and the group would split up the other two days for other private or pay shoots near and far. Good food and good fishing between the dove hunts. We called it off last year due to the plague, and this year as well in view of the Delta bug.

There'll be other shoots before the season ends, but there is always something special about opening day. One day I'll quit going altogether and then I hope somebody will sing something pretty at my funeral...Geo

4 members like this: 67galaxie, MattH, Carl46, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Another GA dove season opener yesterday. I don't think I've missed one since I was 14. I like to have missed yesterday due to the fact my telephone was ominously silent last week during the traditional invitation period for an opening day shoot. Without an invite, I went out to a grown up clear-cut on my deer lease with just a chair and a mojo teal spinner-wing and sat down under a shade tree. No doves, but I went.

Just need a pipe, a little tobacco, matches, iPad to read the New York Times and a Coca-Cola and yer good.

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
One day I'll quit going altogether and then I hope somebody will sing something pretty at my funeral...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No LR, not that one, thank you...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nor the NY Times. Trash.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tough crowd. I’m bracing myself for when the anti-smoke and soft drinkers chime in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a great hunt frustrated by some tough doves and a mischievous bird dog. I hit more than a few that shed feathers and kept right on going. Then Sherwood disappears into the nearby neighborhood and was missing for 24 hours. I wound up with a limit, Harry got 5 and Julia got 4. She spent a good bit of time looking for Sherwood and would have had more otherwise. I found that practice at the dove tower at Forest City improved my game a good bit.

1 member likes this: MattH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Little slow after first half the day, it rained
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jtplumb; 09/05/21 07:55 PM.
2 members like this: liverwort, MattH
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.