March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Floyd and I had a decent opener on a small sunflower field. Sorry no photos of birds, guns and dog. Fortunately I didn't take one of the MuttPak for retrieving or she would have probably been killed. As it was, Floyd rode an ambulance to the hospital 40 miles away and I had the 2016 4Runner flatbedded to my house rather than have it towed at the start of Labor Day Weekend Saturday night to Bubba's Bait, Tackle and Salvage Yard in Okatie, SC where my truck would have been looted. Our SKB 20's, doves, and other gear were inside the truck. At highway speeds, a pick-up coming towards us at highway speed, lost control of a trailer which popped off the hitch unloading a concrete mixer into our lane. Eyewitness accounts said the mixer hit us, sending us airborne, spinning and rolling several times, scattering a few of our doves on the highway. We were lucky to survive and not end up in water on both sides of the narrow blacktop where other car crash victims have drowned. George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood. They are one tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries. I had inside the truck an 85 lb. portable Warn 8500 for front and back hitches and power sources behind the second row seats which I had lashed down to the back seat with half-inch rope to prevent it from acting as shrapnel in a wreck. Good thing I did as the inside of the truck looked like a tossed salad. Passenger side not as beat up as the driver's side, but still bad.
The guns were on the floorboard behind the front seats. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank God y'all survived with just a few scratches, buddy. Also glad neither Willa nor Abby were with you, and that you had your seat belts on. Give Floyd my best wishes for a speedy healing.

Looks like you're going shooting brake shopping again.

As Jerry Clower's Aunt Pet used to say "It coulda' been worse", but it's still a helluva way to start a bird season.

Two key things this morning .............. Naproxen Sodium and coffee.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you and Floyd came through it with minimal damage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I heard the news and was very relieved to call Gil and Floyd and have them answer in person. It was a hell of a week. Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him

2 members like this: GLS, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dang, Gil. I thought I started the season poorly. Sorry about such a fine looking truck, but I'm glad you guys came through ok. I hope the defendant with the cement mixer was driving a company truck for a mega corporate construction company! If you need an exhibit "A" to show what your 4Runner looked like "Before", I'll be glad to snap a pic of mine for you...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mills
Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him

Aunt Pet again......... grin

1 member likes this: Mills
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a nice little shoot this afternoon. Seven of us in a small field of sunflowers. Lots of birds. We took to the field a little after 3:00 and I and my pastor had our limits by about 5:00. Then, everyone else was out by about 6:00, so that the rest of the birds could come in and feed. We'll likely shoot it again in a couple weeks.

Managed a 15 bird limit today with the Dickinson, including two sets of doubles ......... right, then left. On one pair there were two dead birds in the air at the same time. They fell about 15' apart. Same 3/4 oz. loads of 8 1/2s.

Sure is better than where I was a year ago today. whistle

2 members like this: Matt Stolley, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
It's very satisfying to shot a double, congrats! Great days are made of moments like that.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

[George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood. They are one tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries.]

Gil, glad you both came through this. Just sent the pics to my older son who owns a Gen 5 4Runner. We gave our Gen 4 to our younger son and got a small SUV. Momma has been campaigning to go back to a 4Runner. If I show her your pictures they’ll be no holding her back.

Again, glad you’re OK.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Gil, that was a bad opening day. Glad y’all are ok. Our hunt in the NC Piedmont was unexpectedly excellent. A large field led to long and ill advised shots early in the day. The dairy farmer’s combine broke down 1/2 way through the field or the field may have been unmanageable. After enduring seriously poor shooting with a tightly choked O/U in the morning flight, I settled down after switching over to the IC/M SxS (Both 12 ga Bosses) and my performance improved. That evening, 30 marinated and butter basted dove medallions delighted the family.

Owen
3 members like this: liverwort, GLS, MattH
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.