March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#602417 09/06/21 07:51 PM
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have acquired a new project SxS for this coming winter months. The gun is a Lewis Grade 1S 12b S# 101xxx. As I acquired it, this gun comes with two barrels in laminate twist. One is 32" and the other is 28". All came with the original canvas case and three piece cleaning rod. The 32" barrels appear to be the most used with the 28" kept in the case. The gun is in good condition with almost no wear on the barrels or the wood and receiver. Of course someone could not resist the urge to bugger some of the screws. I would like to get more information on the Lewis model including how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the receiver. I only wish to clean and oil the internals. The stock wood is clean and unblemished, but a bit dry. The butt plate is intact but well worn. I would like to reapply the correct period finish. Charles Snyder's book is out of reach dollar wise so I am looking for information on this Ithaca. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Photos
Ithaca Lewis 1904
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

32" P2 and 28" P1

28" barrels:

Last edited by LetFly; 09/08/21 08:17 PM. Reason: Added photos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried ordering Walt Snyder’s book thru you local inter-library loan? I’ve gone so for several book’s similarly out of reach. Best of luck with the restoration.

Last edited by susjwp; 09/07/21 07:23 AM.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent idea. Checked my online resellers and blanched. Will check my library. Thanks

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

These screw plugs in the receiver end of each rib are interesting. Appear to be original as the barrels appear to not have been refinished. If you have Snyder's book let me know if he provides any information on this characteristic of the Ithaca Lewis model.

Last edited by LetFly; 09/10/21 08:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Letfly, I am far from an expert but those screws look to me like the ribs are coming loose and a "repair" was done. The screw heads don't even match.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
1 member likes this: LetFly
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Carl. No surprise here when I loosened the gun screws. Old timey rib repair, both barrels. Even used an engraved gun screw. Without the screw each rib pops up for about four to five inches and then tight. Makes me wonder why they both came loose as I have a number of equally aged SxS's, other makers, with solid ribs. An Ithaca Lewis bolting issue or using modern smokeless? The later would be my guess.

Okay, they are what they are. The question is can this be repaired without a complete stripping and relaying the rib?

Engraved the screw head

Last edited by LetFly; 09/12/21 02:03 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have not stripped a Lewis before but most guns with a rib extension, Fox Lc Smith etc, have the rear portion of the rib silver soldered in place. That area is under a lot of stress, hence the higher strength solder. I can likely be repaired but that would be a very big job. The amount of heat require would result in a full relay as well as possibly causing issues with the lug. I would be shocked if it was soft soldered at the factory. Good luck with it.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB, good info. Thanks. Question? As the extension is integral to the entire rib on this gun, how would the rib have been installed with different solder and higher temps? I am not a gunsmith. On other SxS I observe that the rib is separate from the rib unit which would allow first silver soldering in the extension along with the barrel lug as a separate action and then laying in the rib itself at lower temperature. Curious?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If it is all one piece then it was likely done with soft solder originally. I do not know of any American guns using hard solder for ribs though some Belgium guns do. If it is soft soldered I would suspect the barrels became loose and after repeated firing and then the rib solder failed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just screw it back down and shoot the gun. A proper repair would become a bottomless pit and you’d never climb out.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.